I boiled some rock and now it turned green??

floods7

I decided to boil some rock my friend gave me since I didnt have the option to use a quarantine tank. I boiled it and put it in my tank and now its green. Why did this happen and how can I get the beautiful origional rock look back?
I checked my nitrate and phosphates this morning and everything is the same since before the rock was in..btw

geoj

When you boiled it you killed off all the life in the rock and under that was green minerals. I have seen some coralline algae that was red turn green when the rock was left to dry. Whomever advised you to boil the rock is a ( I can't say what I would like to with out getting in to trouble with the mods,) but I think you get my point. If you don't want to deal with the live pests that may come on the rock don't use live rock, but it will not look the same.

deejeff442

i never understood why people boil or put lr in the sun to dry? some do it because of algae why? they are plenty of ways to get rid of algae and stuff on lr that nature can do.what a waste

meowzer

I know.....I got some beautiful rock from someone BUT it was full of bubble algae and aptasia.....I placed it in totes, and kept it in the dark to kill it off

acrylic51

I'm curious as well where the boiling idea came from.....Bleach/Acid bath will strip the green for sure though......

xcali1985

My question is did it go right into the tank from the boil? You stated that you didn't have a QT tank, when you boil a rock you kill everything in it, however, it still has to decompose so it's a good idea to cure the rock. Unless you use the Bleach/Acid method mentioned above you basically cooked all the organisms inside the rock and now you will have an ammonia spike as they decomp.