i can not add fish to my tank

marlin1

no air pump. I am using a Cascade 700 Canister filter for my tank..it is good for up to 60 gallon tank.

lizzard

it almost sounds like your tank has been contaminated what something. I know you have a fish in there but....can you think if some how it could have been? Have you used yet meds in the tank, copper for one? Done any painting, used any clearners that could have found there way into the tank?

marlin1

now that you mentioned it, I Think that i used copper Safe medication because one of my fish were scratching agains the rocks so i bough Copper safe to get rid off it. But, i think that only stays in your water for less than a month. i used it about two moths ago.
thanks...

jacknjill

copper never leaves your tank once its introduced. it stays in the silicone of the tank. that may be it. you should never treat your main tank with any meds.

snipe

but copper wouldnt be the culprit copper wont kill fish just inverts. Is your tank close to the bathroom or is there is close to were you spray stuff like hair spray chemicals of any kind frebreeze window clenear anything that comes out of a bottle or can. Do you wash your hands before placeing in the tank be sure and dont wash with soap it can kill fish to. There are many factors that can be getting into the tank and killing your fish. You must always keep any type of chemical away from the water and always wash your hands with as hot of water as you can stand dont use soap or anti bacterial before placing your hands in the tank.
The reason I asked is a lady from my local pet store had a tank in her bathroom and couldnt figure out why all her fish were dying. I wander :notsure:

jacknjill

good point! was thinking about inverts. but the hairspray, windex, any kind of air freshener are all good ideas. but what about the fish he has in there now? wouldnt it be dead to?

snipe

Well we all know a clown is a damsle "there tough buggers"and if it was introduced to this over time it may of built up an amunity to it. Just like ppl can be amuned to deadly diseases.

lizzard

You might want to do some water changes, 25% 4 times. Plus run some carbon and/or poly-filters. Maybe some chemi-pure will do the job but don’t add anything to your tank for awhile.
I'm sure others will have more suggestions. Good luck:)

salty cheese

Originally posted by marlin1
no air pump. I am using a Cascade 700 Canister filter for my tank..it is good for up to 60 gallon tank.

So is the only circulation you have in the tank? Have you tested the water after you have added the fish? Or when you are about to add them? What is a few pounds of LR mean?

ophiura

Any painting, carpet cleaning, air fresheners, glass cleaners, etc used anywhere around the tank? As mentioned - lotion, soap on hands...using kitchen sponge to clean the glass....anything that can be smelled in the air can get into the tank.

marlin1

thanks for the sugestion on the soap because I did wash my hands with soap before. I changed 25% of my water and i cleaned my filter. Also, I took my LR out and and wash them out. I hope that does it. I'm not going to add any fish for at least a month. anymore sugestions will be appriciated since i'm new with this stuff.
thanks for your help:)

ophiura

I think the polyfilter and carbon suggestion, as well as the repeating water changes and holding off on the addition of new fish are all good suggestions to look into as well.