I can't believe I did that!

otto13

I will start this discussion because I think I have one that will beat most of you.
I will number each stupid action in this story. Feel free to edit this and add more numbers if you like.
I went down to the coast back in 2000 sometime and was looking for macro algae for my tanks(1). I picked up these really cute small ulva-type algaes in the bay(2). I noticed that the water that was normally bluish was now brownish/red and had a bit of a funny smell(3). I packed up my car and drove down to the marina before I left and it was ten times worse there. The stench was overwelming and there were dead fish everywhere. I was grossed out and took off without asking anyone what was going on(4). Once I got home I washed off the algae and instead of putting it in my QT tank, I plopped it in my main tank(5).
The next morning I got up and went on the internet. I thought I would check out if there was anything in Corpus Christi about the dead fish.
There was.
THE F***ING RED TIDE!!!!
If you are not familiar with this death machine, it comes around about every five years or so and kills everything in its path. It is a type of algae bloom that releases toxic elements into the water and air.
Hey, why not gather macro dying in the red tide and put it in my tank at home?
This story could also be called, "Why I bought my first UV sterilizer".
Fortunately, I didnt lose anything but boy that was stupid.
NEXT???????

otto13

UV sterilizers are built just for this type of thing. Free floating micro algae.
Alright!!!! Who is next! I know there is more out there.

promisetbg

Hmm let's see...the worst thing has to be using my teeth to open a tube of super glue since I had coral and rock in my hand.I thought it was the gel kind.It was'nt and squirted all in my mouth and teeth....took me days to get that out. :mad:
Or...here's another pretty dumb one....when I upgraded the pump on my JBJ I did'nt secure the MJ 900 which is pointing upward.Luckily I came home at the time.....to water shooting straight up out of the tank...all in the lights...power cords..etc.

sweetdawn

1.thought my light was burned out on one side of my tank. took the bulb out the only one I had to replace it with was a different color than the one on the other side of the tank. put the new light in, it didnt light up light was unplugged. asked son to go get the light out of the trash that i had him throw away. being 15 of course he had smashed it. so now tank is half pinkish other half is greenish looking.
2. wanted to add calcium to the tank. mixed it up in my top off jug let it sit overnight and the next day instead of dripping it in the tank i poured it in and had the tank become a white cloud.
3. fed my fish put away their food. fogot to feed my eel, got his silversides out of the freezer, fed him. running late for work had to hurry. got home from work i had left the package of silversides sitting on top of the tank, on top of my lights. came home went by the tank :scared: oh my what a smell.
I have been keeping tanks for about 18 months all these stupid things happened in the last month

cda fish

ok heres mine .. had a cute little snowflake eel decided I would hand feed him this training took about a month.. all is well until one day i was cleaning the glass and watching a little t.v. at the same time yep you guessed it he thought it was feeding time he chomped my index finger taking me by total surprise I flipped my hand out of the tank and he fell to the floor were I had to find my tongs to pick him back up, place him in the tank.. he did fine 4 days later I found him on the carpet again he commited suiside.. didnt know they could flip out of the back of my tank stupid me.. but boy did my finger hurt ..have decided against further eels..

reefman22

I live by the ocean and went to go find some thing for my tank (1). Found seargent (sp.) majors and brought home about 6 of these (2). Also found mystery gobies and brought home a couple. Took some sea weed (3) and put that in my tank and let everything out into my tank (4). Resulting in mixing Atlantic and Pacific livestock (5). Lost a flame scallop because of gobies nipping and eating it. Took everything back and now tank is back to normal.
I think I'm in second place!
REEF