I can't believe the difference between Oceanic and IO

vpotts28

Well I bought a 200g bucket of Oceanic because I ran out of IO. I did a 20% WC with the new salt yesterday. I checked my calcium levels in my DT before and after the wc. I also tested the water that was going in. Before with the IO, the change water was a 440 ppm calcium, after the wc the calcium level would be near 400 ppm. After a two week period when I do my wc's my levels would be at 330ppm. My tank was at 330ppm yesterday. My levels on my change water using Oceanic was 500 ppm, after the wc they were at 485 ppm. I can't believe that, I am dumbfounded. The alkalinity was at 15 dKH.

slowburn22

Was that Instant Ocan reef crystals???? If not can someone submit data on it because I was thinking of using it... I use regular Instant Ocean now, but after reading this I'm thinking of changing salt.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by slowburn22
Was that Instant Ocan reef crystals???? If not can someone submit data on it because I was thinking of using it... I use regular Instant Ocean now, but after reading this I'm thinking of changing salt.
That was not reef crystals, just regular instant ocean.

nietzsche

anything is better than regular IO. it's used for fowlr tank. i just changed from that to coralife salt and its been great.

im using reef crystals and have had good success..ive also heard tha tropic marin is a good brand as well...about 25 more for the same size (160) gallon..i think ill stay with the reef crystals!!!!!

vpotts28

Originally Posted by fish1031
I can get a 200g bucket online of Oceanic for $40
I paid just under $50 for a bucket locally.

slowburn22

So whats the best salt for overall trace elements??????
Is there a difference in coral growth depending on whether its soft or SPS/LPS???
Does anyone know or are these just all liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieees
s?!?!?!?

bpaul1201

the best salt is about 10-30miles out in the ocean by the gulfstream!! you get all the good stuff out there and maybe a free critter or 2! i heard alot of people like oceanic. i have a 14g b/c and i use natures ocean saltwater but in larger tanks its a bit cost preventative( $20 for a 4.4g jug) but its also a good additive for when you need a lil boost of the natural elements without dosing!

m0nk

I've been using Oceanic for about 4 months and it's done great things for my nano. Someone talked me into trying out the new Red Sea Coral Pro that just came out recently in my 55 gallon, so once I get some coral in that and have a baseline I can give some info on that, but I've read good things about it.

larryndana

i've been using oceanic, but thinking of going to reef crystals. i can get a bucket for 40 bucks too, free shipping if its over a fifty dollar purchase.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by canisee2
Thats where i live
It isn't such a bad place, though I hate telling people on the phone. I always have that lump in my throat, and smirk on my face. No pun intended.
For those of us who know, we absolutely love Cumming.

lovecraft

Originally Posted by Vpotts28
It isn't such a bad place, though I hate telling people on the phone. I always have that lump in my throat, and smirk on my face. No pun intended.
For those of us who know, we absolutely love Cumming.
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.