i couldnt resist

unleashed

ok well i broke down today and baught a new fish finally.i now work in a pet store and have to walk past the fish section every day and of course i miss my old fish drasticlly so i broke down today i purchased a nice looking black volitan lion.i have been watching this same fish every day for the last month and finally couldnt resist lol they even have him eating pellets..so this will be my fist buy sinse the big disaster.he comes home tommorow :cheer:

watson3

What kind of fish?
Positive...He lasted a month in the store
Negative...Why hasnt someone bought him yet

rykna

Most likely because of the size, this beautiful fish comes with a hefty price tag, and unless you are a salt water junky it is hard to pay prices over $50 buck for one fish.
I know everyone here wouldn't blink and eye at that.
:happyfish

watson3

My apologies, after re-reading, i saw the lion part..I understand now..Its the only fish the store here keeps more than a day or two

unleashed

oddly enough its a vol lion about 3-4 inches but its also a ***** this is a big reason why it didnt sell.this store does not have a high turnover rate for its salt water fish and i have watched many fish stay longer than 1 month .i dont buy any fish that is in store less than 2 weeks and see it eat prepared foods.and heres the kicker it was 30 bucks ( i get a discount
).. i normally would never had purchased a fish from a large store chain but seeing how they do things on a daily basis but this one i made an exception i was acually impressed on the care these employees take for this stores stock..but then again im not a novist and i do know what to look for when purchasing any fish..oh to those wondering what i do in a pet store im a pet groomer...but yes im excited to day he comes home..as for being lion people shark boy i have always had lions in my tanks sinse the beginning of this hobby 5 yrs ago my tank looks baren without one..i will slowly get my stock back and in time i will get back to having large tanks also

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by unleashed
as for being lion people shark boy i have always had lions in my tanks sinse the beginning of this hobby 5 yrs ago my tank looks baren without one..
cool

ledzep fan

I also got a lion from ***** the exact some price as you and the same species also. I lost him to a hunger strike
. I hope you enjoy him as much as I did mine.

unleashed

Originally Posted by GreyMach
what was this big disaster?
i moved my fish to my daughters house while we are waiting closing on our new house .well we set up 2 tank we also moved the water but we had decided to do a water chance while we were at it .well during the move my refractometer got misplaced and lost in the shuffle of fish stuff.so i decided to purchase a hydrometer so i could add new water .the hydrometer read 1.024 right where i wanted it added the new water fish seamed fine that night but the next morning i awoke to everything but my eels dead .after all of this we found the refractometer and check levels again it was accually 1.009 .bottom line is a faulty hydrometer killed all of my fish in the tank..i was lucky to have caught this before my eels parished along with the rest..I will never use a hyrometer again
.i was able to keep 7 fish that were not in the same tank all of my eels of course..but 3 damsels that reside with ed..and 4 banjai cardenals and a sick atlanitic blue tang that survived 48 hrs in a cooler until i got the salinity back in order..

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by unleashed
i moved my fish to my daughters house while we are waiting closing on our new house .well we set up 2 tank we also moved the water but we had decided to do a water chance while we were at it .well during the move my refractometer got misplaced and lost in the shuffle of fish stuff.so i decided to purchase a hydrometer so i could add new water .the hydrometer read 1.024 right where i wanted it added the new water fish seamed fine that night but the next morning i awoke to everything but my eels dead .after all of this we found the refractometer and check levels again it was accually 1.009 .bottom line is a faulty hydrometer killed all of my fish in the tank..i was lucky to have caught this before my eels parished along with the rest..I will never use a hyrometer again
.i was able to keep 7 fish that were not in the same tank all of my eels of course..but 3 damsels that reside with ed..and 4 banjai cardenals and a sick atlanitic blue tang that survived 48 hrs in a cooler until i got the salinity back in order..
poor u, well hope the lion does well, mine just got here and is in quarantine.
Jon

unleashed

well the lion lasted 2 days in my tank
oddly enough with his death also came with the death of my atlantic blue :notsure: i woke to find both of them dead.my eels are fine and all 4 cardenals are doing good .. so much for restocking .. not sure when i will reattempt this again

petjunkie

Oh, I'm so sorry unleashed. Bad luck seems to be following your tank. Don't give up...like you could, this hobby's way too addicting. Maybe just take a break until you feel secure again. Was there any guarentee?

sharkboy13

unleashed i think we have been cursed cuz we both got our lions on the same day, mine died and so did my snake eel. whats odd is he was doing so well to, eating silversides and krill.

unleashed

Originally Posted by petjunkie
Oh, I'm so sorry unleashed. Bad luck seems to be following your tank. Don't give up...like you could, this hobby's way too addicting. Maybe just take a break until you feel secure again. Was there any guarentee?
nope no garentee on their fish at all .at this point i will just concentrate on my eels for now .once we get settled in ed will get an upgrade .i did however test the tap water we have been using it seams to have nitrate levels of .25 this could be the issue .so for now i may have to purchase premixed salt water for my water changes..no place for ro unit here
Sharkboy13 unleashed i think we have been cursed cuz we both got our lions on the same day, mine died and so did my snake eel. whats odd is he was doing so well to, eating silversides and krill.
i think from now on i will stick to my origanal supplier .which has always garenteed my fish's health ...as for your eels death also check your water quality most eels are tanks in an aquarium these dont just die as quickly as other fish do unless there is something drasticly wrong with them or the tank itself..ph levels sg levels they can even withstand somewhat higher nitrate levels for short periods of time .they do not do well in lower salinity levels if you keep your tanks at 1.021 this can also effect them they should be kept at higher reef levels 1.024 -1.026..im not sure what level you keep your paremeters at to be able to estimate any cause..but you may want to test these levels to be sure