I dropped a Utility Blade in my 210, Help Please

efishnsea

Well this is a first for me.....I was cutting out some frags from my tank and accidently dropped a utility blade in the rocks of my packed 210g reef. I have numerous sps, lps softies etc. Man am I in trouble if I leave it in. I have approx 500lbs of lr in there and it would be a two day project to try to find it. The blade it the type shaped like a triangle. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
efishnsea

Maybe try using one of those telescoping magnets that they sell for mechanics? Just be sure to get off any packing oil they may use in the packaging...

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by efishnsea
Well this is a first for me.....I was cutting out some frags from my tank and accidently dropped a utility blade in the rocks of my packed 210g reef. I have numerous sps, lps softies etc. Man am I in trouble if I leave it in. I have approx 500lbs of lr in there and it would be a two day project to try to find it. The blade it the type shaped like a triangle. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
efishnsea

HOW ABOUT A NEW MAGNET tied to fishing line,, or better yet one of those mechanic long flexable magnets,, BUT A NEW ONE, then just return it to discount AUTO...

efishnsea

Originally Posted by offsetfactor
Maybe try using one of those telescoping magnets that they sell for mechanics? Just be sure to get off any packing oil they may use in the packaging...
Great idea but I cant even see it. Why in the hell did I ever put that much LR in there
Im just worried about the rust it is going to produce, and if that will upset the balance of the water or kill some corals....

coraljunky

Hey James, I could come over and pack up your livestock then store it in my tanks,lol. Man that sucks
. Let me know if I can do anything to help.
Justin

chilwil84

try the magnet first i was able to find one i dropped when i was scraping coraline off my side panel i couldnt see it put my tank is only a 90 might be worth the 10-12 bucks for one to maybe save you one hell of a headache breaking down the tank

efishnsea

Originally Posted by coraljunky
Hey James, I could come over and pack up your livestock then store it in my tanks,lol. Man that sucks
. Let me know if I can do anything to help.
Justin

Thanks
, yea you can find me an answer. "Is it going to harm the corals" if I leave it in.

efishnsea

Originally Posted by chilwil84
try the magnet first i was able to find one i dropped when i was scraping coraline off my side panel i couldnt see it put my tank is only a 90 might be worth the 10-12 bucks for one to maybe save you one hell of a headache breaking down the tank
Do you think that is necessary????? I mean we add iron to our tanks???

groupergenius

Do you think that is necessary????? I mean we add iron to our tanks???
Expensive question. I'm researching.

coraljunky

Thanks
, yea you can find me an answer. "Is it going to harm the corals" if I leave it in.
I really dont know. I would hate to find out. Magnet idea seems to be the only way besides breaking it down. Seriously, let me know if I can be of any help(besides a better solution).

efishnsea

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Expensive question. I'm researching.
Thanks GrouperGenius......How expensive are you talking about

chilwil84

i do have a stainless steel clamp underwater in my tank that has had some just for some time now and have had no ill effects that i know of. not sure what will happen upon total breakdown of normal steel but in a 210 you should have the stability to minimize any problems. i think you have florida written as your location tint companies use stainless steel blades in florida (my uncle does it down there) it may pay to look for them for the future (cant find them up in nj)

efishnsea

Originally Posted by coraljunky
I really dont know. I would hate to find out. Magnet idea seems to be the only way besides breaking it down. Seriously, let me know if I can be of any help(besides a better solution).
So a case of beer and uhhh you come over and help tear it apart. Holy frags!!!!!!!!!

coraljunky

No beer needed, but I wouldnt turn it down. Hahaha. I'm cheap labor, anything to help a fellow reefer. Let me know.

efishnsea

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Check the rest of the blades and see if a magnet sticks. Good S/S is not grabable by magnet.

I dont think its stainless, actually pretty sure of that. They rust very fast if I leave them out.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by chilwil84
no ss is magnetic just doesnt break down in saltwater
No disrespect. I have been running a S/S custom kitchen equipment shop for 22 years now. We'll get into the S/S nickel content different types later. Let's find a razor blade.