I feel kind of stupid..

dooneygirl09

So I have a really nice 75g saltwater tank with an overflow. But right now I have goldfish in it... Thats right, goldfish! I have decided to kick them out (give them a different tank) and set up a saltwater tank! YAY! Like i said, it has an overflow, but I have NO IDEA what kind of filter to use for it. I plan on just doing live rock and fish I think. (i really want a drawf lion and they dont seem to be reef compatible) The bottom of the tank has the PVC pipe stuff on it, so what is it used for? Links to the best filters would be great, and and explanation. Like I said, Ive never had a saltwater tank before and want to make sure Im doing EVERYTHiNG right so I dont kill all my fish.

xandrew245x

As Fix said, read the link he posted, its full of great information and will get you pointed in the right directions. The most common way is to plumb your overflow box into a sump underneath your tank. The sump can house all your equipment such as protein skimmer and heater. You can use bioballs or live rock rubble as filtration and you can also had a filter sock. For pumps, Mag drive pumps are really good, just make sure you get one that will push a decent gph at the height you need to go. Also, you should have 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon of water in your tank, live rock is very crucial, so don't skimp

fixpc

Answering a question about what the best sump pump is. Well that's hard to answer what I look for is a pump that is silent and as efficient as I can get. Efficiency can be measured by how many watts it consumes . Another big thing people don't remember is that the efficiency of pump or how much water it can pump is measured right when it comes out of the output. For every foot you push the water off you going to lose gallons per hour. So if you want to push 750 gallons per hour to your tank you should not buy a pump that says it is 750 gallon pump. For instance if you want to pump 750 gallons per hour 4 feet up to your tank from your sump you're probably going to have to buy a pump rated around 900 gallons per hour.