I feel like im running the bare minimum.

Kristin1234

As the title says. I feel like I am running the bare minimum on my tank and need to know what I should invest my money on for my 100 gallon. I want to dip my hands into some easy corals.

I have a 100 gallon with a 50 gal sump.
A protein skimmer.
2 power heads (should these always be on the same side of tank)
2 return pumps
Sick filter in chamer 1 of sump.
New fluval marine and sea LED lights.
Ro unit.

Annnnd that's it.

What should I add to keep my tank running at it's best?

lmforbis

If everything is good with your system should be fine. The only thing I have that you don't is a carbon/GFO reactor (and maybe better lights). I recently added the reactor because of high phosphates and hair algae. Your lighting is probably enough for softies.
In a past system I had a 55 gallon, with a canister filter that I rarely cleaned, no skimmer, crappy power heads, no sump, no fuge but I ton of softies growing like crazy. I had that tank for about 14 years. Your system is simple and there is nothing wrong with that it may actually be better, less to fail. As long as the parameters are good and the inhabitants are thriving you don't need to change or add anything. If your plans for the tank change your needs may change to meet those new plans.

Kristin1234

If everything is good with your system should be fine. The only thing I have that you don't is a carbon/GFO reactor (and maybe better lights). I recently added the reactor because of high phosphates and hair algae. Your lighting is probably enough for softies.
In a past system I had a 55 gallon, with a canister filter that I rarely cleaned, no skimmer, crappy power heads, no sump, no fuge but I ton of softies growing like crazy. I had that tank for about 14 years. Your system is simple and there is nothing wrong with that it may actually be better, less to fail. As long as the parameters are good and the inhabitants are thriving you don't need to change or add anything. If your plans for the tank change your needs may change to meet those new plans.

Thanks for the response!!

Are these lights good or no? I just bought them this week and if I need to exchange them I will do so. I spent $230.00 on them so I kinda expected them to be one of the best. What's your opinion on them? I do only plan to keep softies. The easier ones at that. Just something to give my tank some color.

I honestly haven't checked for my phosphates.

Maybe my investment will be a hanna checker and some more needed test kits.

Kristin1234

I have been contemplating making my middle chamber of sump into a refugium. Do you think this would be a good move to make? I would like to start seeding my tank with pods for a future mandarin. Would this be beneficial to the tank or not any more so than what I am doing now?

lmforbis

I think a fuge has a lot of benefits and few negatives Especially since you have a sump with a center compartment. You can use a cheap clip on fixture with a 23 watt flourescent bulb to light the fuge. Good Led lights will easily cost upwards of $1000 for a 4 foot tank. If you aren't planning on any more than softies what you have is fine. Even some LPS might work.

jay0705

crap really? For the money you think I can get better? That light is also freaking my Fox face out. The moon light option.
The fox thing is weird. Beating its self up isnt good. The light must be sending some type of weird wave off. My fish never seemed bothered by my moonlight.

lmforbis

I bought a wad of chaeto from SWF it came fully loaded with pods and threw it in. I also seeded with Copepods. Every month or so I take about half out an shake it around in the Tank water to get as many pods out as I can then I dump it in my compost bin. My original handful filled my whole fuge which is about 10 gallons in a matter of 4 or 5 weeks.

Kristin1234

The fox thing is weird. Beating its self up isnt good. The light must be sending some type of weird wave off. My fish never seemed bothered by my moonlight.
I know. He is the only one doing it too. And I have to by pass the moonlight stage to get lights off. Should I return the light or do you think it's just cause it's new?

Kristin1234

I bought a wad of chaeto from SWF it came fully loaded with pods and threw it in. I also seeded with Copepods. Every month or so I take about half out an shake it around in the Tank water to get as many pods out as I can then I dump it in my compost bin. My original handful filled my whole fuge which is about 10 gallons in a matter of 4 or 5 weeks.

Sand and lr in fuge or no?

Kristin1234

Let me make sure my wording is correct. I'm calling the black lights = moon lights. Same thing or no?

lmforbis

Here's a pic of mine. Cheap shop fixture with a flourescent bulb, 23 watts. Less watts didn't work.
IMG_2219.JPG

Ignore the foam oozing out of my skimmer. I treated the tank with chemiclean for cyano and it is overflowing the skimmer so I just took off the collection cup.

pegasus

Here's a pic of mine. Cheap shop fixture with a flourescent bulb, 23 watts. Less watts didn't work.
View attachment 1463

Ignore the foam oozing out of my skimmer. I treated the tank with chemiclean for cyano and it is overflowing the skimmer so I just took off the collection cup.
I have the same light over my 30G refugium. 23W "Daylight" bulb (6500K) works great for growing Chaeto... ;)