I finally got a mantis shrimp

draconis321

I've been trying to get one forever it's green and it's smasher (for those of u who don't no there are 2 types of mantis smashers and spearers) but it's not a peacock mantis i named him/her/it? Kiko it seem wrong not to name something so intelligent back at the lfs I put my finger on the glass and it started stareing at it as if it's was trying to figure out what it was. I've got him in a ten gallon plus some live food
so cool

mech-a-nic

I have "got" 2
I would not be happy about that
There neat IF you know there there and Are ready for them. mine just killed everything
and i am preaty sure he is why the tank busted. But realy they are cool to watch.
Post pics ....thats as close as I want to see one

draconis321

don't worry mines a baby it can't even break platic cups let alnoe the tank and he's in a specie tank by himself if you don't count the feeder crab plus I'm getting an acrlic tank soon too so he should be fine I can't post pics yet the water still hasn't cleared up but i'll try

mech-a-nic

they are cool I was ribbing you about them. I got 2 in live rock that were put into the main tank
But if keep alone there cool.

reefkprz

glass tank with a smasher. risky. if he starts tunnelling he can smash the bottom pane, they do that to rocks when digging their burrows.
mantis are so cool though. If I hadnt promised my girl I wouldnt get one I would definatly have one.

cranberry

Not many can actually break a glass tank. Out of the mantis' commonly seen I would be most concerned of the G. chiragra, which that is not. However, if I was presented with a mantis I didn't know th eID of, I would but an acrylic sheet on th ebottom of th etank under the sand. That's the area that will be exposed to the most repeatative pounding. And usually he's either breaking rocks against the bottom or thinking the bottom is a rock and works towards breaking it. They don't often pound on th eside panels... unless you are trying to get them to do so... and all of us who have mantis' have...he he he.
If you get a got pic of inside it's clubs (encourage him to get in his defense posture and snap a pic) and a top down tail shot, we may be able to ID it for ya.
You need more rock for him and they really enjoy a PVC tunnel. It needs to be completely dark when they molt or they could have problematic molts.
This is my P. ciliata peaking out of his PVC burrow. That's the only part you see... well, except for the other opening in the "U". But the rest is under the rock.

draconis321

don't worry there will be more rock going in (along with more sand) and that whole pvc pipe thing is a great idea but I don't think I have any lying around and the wallet is empty but does any one no the species mine is and how big it gets
Ps is plexi glass the same as acrlyic ??

cranberry

Originally Posted by draconis321
http:///forum/post/2709133
don't worry there will be more rock going in (along with more sand) and that whole pvc pipe thing is a great idea but I don't think I have any lying around and the wallet is empty but does any one no the species mine is and how big it gets
Ps is plexi glass the same as acrlyic ??
The PVC fitting literally cost a couple of bucks only. He has to be able to hole himself up come molt time and be really really dark. Bad molts can honestly kill these guys.
Yes, plexiglass can be used.
You'll really need a pic of any meral spots on the inside of his clubs and a good pic of his tail to properly ID him.

cranberry

I don't, but my water changes keep the calcium adequate.
Hoe did I figure out you were Canadian? On th eright across from your avatar.