I fixed my Skilter!

crzyfshygy

I can not take credit for the idea, how ever I finally took another hobbiest 's advice on this unit and it worked

The Skilter was purchased for my 11gl reef almost 8 months ago and all It did was make alot of noise and shoot a MILLION bubbles into the tank. So I never used the protien skimming part of the unit. I just used it for filtration. I have been debating getting rid of it and using another unit on the tank. Although anyone who has a really small tank knows that water changes everyweek will justify not needing a skimmer! Thats why I never made the move. My water quality in the tank is perfect.
So, here is what I did. On the cup cap of the unit there is a small hole. I drilled that hole slightly bigger with a drill bit the size of AIRLINE HOSE and attached that to a RENA air 50 aeration pump. $10.00. Airline hose $1.99. I ran the hose through the hole down into the clear cone cylinder all the way to the bottom and attatched a 2in airstone to the hose $.99 I made sure the hose was used only long enough to make it work. NO EXTRA HOSE! This way I would get all the pressure I could from the pump. I then placed the pump behind the tank and made sure the airstone was all the way at the bottom and turned it on. At first it was just bubbling.....when I woke up this morning it was skimming, with no bubbles in the tank. DO NOT USE THE PROTIEN SKIMMING PART OF THE SKILTER, CLOSE OF THE HOSE WITH THE BLACK CAP. IT WORKS AWESOME. Thank you to the gentleman who gave me the awesome idea in Fort Myers Florida.

pebbles

I have a skilter too & noise bubbles are a problem. So you drilled into the top hard plastic & put the airline tube down through that hole to the bottom of the skilter added a airstone & now it skims the water in the filter not the tank is this correct?
Thanks alot! My husband hates the noise & I would love to have a clear tank.

crzyfshygy

yea it worked foam and all. Ironic that you asked because now it is leaking. Not due to the skimmer adjustment but I think the plastic around motor is wearing so it started leaking. I am removing it tommorow.