I Found a Hitchhiker!!

kaotik

I was looking closely at my live rock and i found an anemone/soft coral looking thing. It has clear tentables with little round orange balls at the end of each tip. It is about an inch in diameter so my camera can't take a good enough picture. If anyone knows what this is or has heard of something similar...please help!

durabane

not sure what they are called but have been told that they are a nuisance and was instructed to get peppermint shrimp to control them.
my 2 cents

kaotik

Tizzo: sort of like that but with orange balls. Sorry for the poor drawing but this is the best I could do.

kaotik

it doesnt look anything like a mushroom though. The center of it looks kinda like a single zoo polyp but clear with long tentacles and an orange ball at the tip of each tentacle.

kaotik

From looking at other posts I have come to the assumption that it is a Pseudocorynactis. However, none of the posts tell whether this is something that should be removed from the tank or is fine left alone??? Does anyone have any experience with these?

kaotik

I would leave it alone but if it is a Pseudocorynactis, then it has stinging tentacles and could kill my fish I assume, so i dont want it in there.
I dont think its a jewel anemone becuase its got those orange balls on the tips like the picture I attached.
minitrucke: no, im not in the club, but whats weird about your question is that I used to be really into mini's and had a 96 S10 on 20's and bags!

phatfish

Originally posted by kaotik
it looks just like this one:

I have had the above ball anemone (from the picture) for a couple months now, and it doesn't seem to be affecting much in my tank. It keeps itself closed during the day and only opens at night when there is little activity. I was told that it is harmless to my other tankmates, so I have no reason to remove it. It too was a hitchhiker on some live rock I got.