I found a reef 5min from my house!!!!

aquaengine

Ok. Hers is the situation. I live in St. Augustine Florida. We have lots of docks, marinas, and boat ramps in the area. Yesterday I was working with a friend refurbishing his dock. He has to replace the floating section which has been in the water for years. Within 5 min of looking at the old floating platform it was clear there were life forms i would never expect to encounter in this area. There was a full blown reef colony encrusting the bottom and sides of his dock. Everything from what looked like leather corals to branching corals and sponges and sea squirts. I’m not talking here and there, I’m talking about this dock is fully encrusted. Here’s the problem. He has someone coming in a few days to hall this section of dock off, but we have to pull it out of the water first....this is cretin death to all life. So my next step is preserving some of this life for my aquarium. Does anyone have any ideas as to a way i can harvest some of the corals and sponges and possibly some sea squirts. I think they are attached to the foam flotation devices. I have a 20g tank ready to go with skimmer and a good PC light ready to go. I only want to take what I can use.

S

sinner's girl

I'd use the water from that area to start with. Then test that water, see what the conditions are. Maybe slowly acclimatet them to ro saltwater over time. If your 20 isn't already cycled, I'd keep a very close eye on it. Since you're close you should be able to get water easily. Or this might be a bad idea. Acclimating the life to tank water seems like it would be too big of a change, but who knows. Test your water and test thier water.
would it be possible to move the reef to another part of the area? It seems a shame to kill the life for no good reason.

aquaengine

Thanks for the reply. I wish i could move the reef to another location but I don’t think it’s possible. What i think is happing with these floating docks is the corals are just a few inches below the water line at all times( the docks float up and down with the tide). Looking in the inter tilde zones i don’t see any corals like the ones on the platforms. I think moving them off the dock that must be removed per state regulations would just prolong the inevitable. These docks provide a unique habitat that’s not native to these waters. I think it’s the combination of clear shallow water and abundant sun that makes these reefs sustainable. They look exotic so I think they could have hitch a ride on any of the thousands of boats that pass through these waters shortly after leaving the Caribbean.
If any one has any ideas of how to safely remove these animals I would like input.

J

jdragunas

you'll have better results if you post this in the reef forum...

aquaengine

I would not try to incite public rage. Nothing can be done. It’s no worse than scraping the barnacles off boat bottoms. It sucks but its the reality of the situation. I can only do what i can to save what i can> :thinking:
Good Idea. I will post a copy on the reef section. Thanks!!

oozy

you may want to discuss with the owner this wonderfull oportunity to contribute back to the ocean. Ask if he'll be willing to relocate the organisms into the water around the dock.
explain to him that this could increase the value of his waterfront or Reeffront property...
which is a better solution than killing everything...
goodluck

aquaengine

They would never make it. My theory is that these floating docks provide a unique habitat not generally found in theses waters. The shallow waters in this area are mucky oyster bed type environments that are exposed to tidal water movements. These floating docks are located away from the shore line where the water is generally clearer. The docks float up and down with the tide providing a constant shallow area. I also think the concrete soaks up and stores heat from sunlight during the day. During the cooler months this heat is then released and tempers the water temp. If they were removed and relocated then they would surly die. I have found that there are corals and sponges on almost every floating dock in the area.

K

kimc

Can you cut the foam?? I would try to remove the items I wanted (along with foam), transport in ocean water. Once you get home you would cut away excess foam then acclimate to your water. If they survive you could try to fragging them in a few weeks. I wish you luck!! Make sure you post pics!!