I got a copperband tonight

05xrunner

Well i finally got one of these. I have had my eye on this one at the store. It has been there for about 3weeks. I saw it picking at the rocks eating so I kinda felt a little better. I just hope he works out. Its such a pretty fish
This thing is a pig..within 5min its all over the tank now eating like crazy. Seems like I got a good one that actually eats

reefkprz

feed it well Its belly looks a little shrunken in, but otherwise its a nice looking specimin. I hope it does well for you. I think they are really pretty fish.

05xrunner

I hope it does also. I passed up on 5 already. I got lucky i think..its eating like mad now. So hopefully it lives a long time.

sepulatian

Good luck with him. He has a spot on his upper tailfin though. You REALY should have qt'd this fish. Watch his eating. What exactly is he eating for you right now? How old is your system?

05xrunner

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Good luck with him. He has a spot on his upper tailfin though. You REALY should have qt'd this fish.
No...Seems people will do anything to try and say they see ich. There is nothing on him.
Watch his eating. What exactly is he eating for you right now?
Picking at the rocks
How old is your system?
Old enough...I hate these questions. people seem to ALWAYS say this same crap no matter what. No matter how much someone reads up and understands what they are getting. Did I mention anywhere that its doing bad for all these little questions. ANNOYING

nicetry

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
No...Seems people will do anything to try and say they see ich. There is nothing on him. Picking at the rocks
Old enough...I hate these questions. people seem to ALWAYS say this same crap no matter what. No matter how much someone reads up and understands what they are getting. Did I mention anywhere that its doing bad for all these little questions. ANNOYING
Why so defensive? They're legitimate questions and no one is trying to second guess you. These are beautiful fish but many don't do well long term even in well established tanks owned by very experienced hobbyists. It's not a good choice for a captive butterfly simply due to it's fragile nature. Hopefully you'll have success with yours, but no need to be "annoyed" by a well meaning fellow hobbyist. You say it is picking off the rocks which is good. One of the problems folks have with them is a reluctance to accept prepared foods, and once the fish picks the rock clean, it may go south.
Good luck with yours.

peckhead

i have had 2 butterflies. in 2 different tanks. niether lived. and there was no reason for them to die what so ever.....................expert or beginnner they would have died. good luck though. i love butterflies

nicetry

Originally Posted by peckhead
i have had 2 butterflies. in 2 different tanks. niether lived. and there was no reason for them to die what so ever.....................expert or beginnner they would have died. good luck though. i love butterflies
I'm not understanding here when you say there was no reason for them to die. In most cases of fish death, there can be a reason attributed to the cause. As a whole, bf's can be touchy. There are species that are not good candidates, but that are routinely sold. Others can fare well given the right conditions. This is a fish that IMO holds an element of luck when it comes to keeping them succesfully, but overall they have some specialized needs. I've kept several with varying degrees of success. My current blackback has been with me for 5 years, has shown steady growth, tolerance to varying tankmates and conditions, and is going strong. He is my "canary in the mineshaft" fish. I look to him as a barometer of my tank and if he's out of sorts I need to tweak things in the tank a bit.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
No...Seems people will do anything to try and say they see ich. There is nothing on him. Picking at the rocks
I was not second guessing your knowledge of these fish. These are not LITTLE questions. These are questions I ask anyone that has any fish of a sensitive nature. These fish do not do well in newer systems, they are tough to get to eat and they need a special diet. You bought a hard to keep fish. I just hope you know how to care for it. Butterflies are second only to tangs in their susceptibility to be carrying ich. If you did not QT this fish then you may have another issue on your hands very soon. You will realize soon enough that certain fish have certain requirements.

myreef05

Don't be so negative to the feedback you recieve. Remember, YOU posted the pic. They are beautiful fish.
Hopefully that pinched belly is not a bad sign, (usually they only last about 1 month as it could be a parasite or collected with cyanide.)
Not ill wishing, just providing what I have found.
Please keep us posted.

05xrunner

its still going around eating all day long..It took a big poop also. Which i usually assume thats with alot of eating as well. it seems pretty happy. It even stays at the glass to look at me when I look at it

torno

Ahh the copperbands, beautiful fish. I had mine die on me last week after 4 weeks. That was my 4th one. Maybe we just weren't meant to be.

Good Luck with yours though.