I got a tempting offer, what do you think it worth??

msd2

So a buddy of mine has a 150 gallon tank, acrylic and with the filter in the back (not sure of a better way to discribe it). Long story short he went through a nasty divorce and she got the house and he left the fishtank. She wants it gone now. So I'm halfway thinking about it. He said it has the stand, the tank and about 150lbs of live rock and a single angel only in the tank. The thing is nobody is sure how good of shape anything it in. She says she didnt feed the fish, he 'eats the green stuff off the rocks' So my question would be how live is the live rock? would it more and likely be dormant or dead? BTW the lighting system on will have to be replaced, he said it needed replacing. It has been about a year since any maintance has really done to the tank so im kinda sketchy about it. BTW the tank is about 4feetX 2 feet X 2 Deep.
so what do you think would be a fair price to give him for it?
basically its a tank, rock and stand.

nacl-man

If he left it then it means he doesn't want it anymore. If he wants money tell him you'll give him 10 bucks for it... or he can worry about disposing of it :) j/k a few hundred dollars is fair IMO.
Sounds like everything is going to have to be re-done in the tank anyway... the water params are probably a mess. The 'good' news is that the fish is still alive only because he wasn't fed. If he was the trates would have killed him by now prob :)
Cheers!

msd2

Originally posted by sailfin
4ft x 2ft x 2ft = 150 gal???? I don't think that is right. Sounds like a 75 gal or 90 gal to me.

yea I ran the calcs myself and it came out to 120 - he is not sure eactly of the dimensions.

pacopetty

The rock should be fine as long as its been in salt water its good. I'd start out offering him $100 and see what happens.

E

essop3

my 125 is 72x18x22 so I am pretty sure its not 150.
Sounds like you can get a good buy for that size of a tank though. Start out at $100, he sounds like he'd almost given it away.

D

daniel411

Have you seen the tank recently? We'd need a picture to really give you any feed back on the health of the live rock. Does it have much coraline coverage? Live rock can sustain some pretty impressive feats for awhile. As long as its not been too long, the water chemistry shouldn't be to far out of parameters to keep a single fish and live rock around.
If the acrylic tank doesn't have to many scratches, which you could buff out anyways... the stand is nice looking, and theirs a decent amount of coraline still on the rocks... they/she could probally put it in the paper for $700 and sell it by the weekend. So I'd probally offer "atleast" $300+, since its a friend and they want to get rid of it quick. Even if the tank needs buffing/major cleaning, the live rocks lost alot of coraline, you'd still come out with a great bargain.