I got it! Can I see some 72g Bowfronts???

jonny bolt

I finally got a 72g Bowfront tonight. Wooooo. Hope to pick it up tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had some pics of this tank that I could check out. I am moving up from a 38g :)

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by Jonny Bolt
I finally got a 72g Bowfront tonight. Wooooo. Hope to pick it up tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had some pics of this tank that I could check out. I am moving up from a 38g :)
I also have a 72 gallon bowfront but to honest, I really like the flat fronts better. I think you get a better perspective of the fish from various angles and the flat fronts take better pictures. I will upload a pic shortly but very boring pics.
Anthony

jonny bolt

I dont know, I like the bows bettah. Get more of a panoramic view. I had a 38g, and I look at it now and it looks tiny lol. I liked it, but there just wasnt enough open space and I couldnt do what I wanted as far as aquascaping. Plus I had too much Tonga Branch live rock. I ordered 45 pounds of premium select fiji LR from a known site and am having it shipped overnight. I will use some of my Tonga Branch as accent pieces, for rock bridges, etc., cuz thats all its good for in my eyes LOL. Here is my old tank(angled shot)...

I got the bowfront setup earlier, just finished getting the water in and salt in. Running some Maxi-Jet 1200's full blast right now while the salt mixes...

I use a very dark blue background, but it is not on the new tank yet :(

jerth6932

Looks great Johnny bolt! Your smaller tank looked bigger than it was!! And every time I read one of your posts I laugh, cause of the way you accent your words on here! IT IS GREAT!!!!!!

jonny bolt

lol. Thanks
I'm jus a regulah New Englandah lol. You know you're from New Hampshire when its like a blizzard outside, and you'll still drive 8-10 miles to go to the LFS and then go out to eat

jerth6932

I drive 40 each way in the worst snow storm of the year in UTAH, for the fish store!!!lol But now I had to change the way you talk in my head.....lol....
...... but it is better now!!!!

xcgx

Question for you guys with bowfronts....I have a 90 oceanic b/f and the plastic trim is seperated from the glass in the front, where the glass is curved the most. It's this way for both the top and bottom, but the bottom part is more aparent. I was wondering if your is this way as well? thanks.

jonny bolt

Mines brand new, so I'd have to say no HAHA.
I got my fishees in, added some pieces of the Tonga Branch LR I decided to keep, mostly larger pieces, and threw in some temporary fake corals for the fish until my fiji rock gits here Weds. Coming along ok so far, water still a bit cloudy. I also took some time to install my dark blue background on the back of the tank finally...

I cant wait for the LR to get here so I can do some aquascaping. Gonna be nice to actually have some room to work with!

jonny bolt

Ya, Puffahz was a little confused lol. After spending the night in the temporary 25x16 clear rubbermaid container, the fish were all a little PO'd. Then when I finally got em into tha bowfront, they didnt know what the hell to do :hilarious They are getting used to the new digs, but they are definitely not used to the depth yet lol. Puffahz is finally coming up to the top and inspecting things, and lookin for food. Good to see some of them eating.
I think I am going to get a Flame Angel....I am gonna trade in the rest of the Tonga Branch LR I am not gonna use and hopefully get some credit towards it at the LFS. I want a female Bellus Angel, but I cant find one around here.
I'll post anutha pic once I get me Fiji LR and get that squared away. I'll remember to shut the lights behind me off too before I snap another pic lol

fishboy091

Have fun with the aquascaping. I always love doing that. I changed mine around 3 times while it was cycling and I'm still not satisfied with it. I'm probably gonna add about 10 more lbs this weekend in my 180 gallon.

jonny bolt

Thanks dood. Tha rock bettah be hee-yah tomorrow, or else I'm gonna tear this place down
I am eagerly anticipating its arrival, and I am taking the day off tomorrow!
Right now I am gonna git ready ta go up ta one of tha LFS and give em the rest of my tonga branch LR. If I can get a 20 or 30 bux off the price off a Flame Angel, I will get it.

jumpfrog

I had a 72 bow as a reef for about 3 years. Worked out great. Now have it converted to a discus tank. If I followed your post you set your tank up and added your puffer on day 2 after getting your tank? You might want to keep a close eye on your levels as your tank settles in. Enjoy the bow, I think they're great!

jonny bolt

Yar. How I did it was like this.....I have 2 storage containers that I use for water changes, they each hold approx. 15-20 gallons of water. I filled one completely with water from my old tank before I broke it down, this was the clear container for the fish and its longer so they have more room to go back N forth. I use this particular container for the fish because its easier to get them out of than a darker trash can. I then added a spare heater, filter, and powerhead to it. Also added the Tonga live rock pieces I wanted to keep, and some spare fake corals, so the fish would be somewhat comfortable and have places to hang out. They were in there for less than 2 days while I got the old tank out and the new tank in, and setup.
I then filled the 2nd container with half water from my old tank, and half NEW saltwater. Kind of like a small water change. I then added a spare heater and airstone to this water. This is the water I used to seed the new tank with, and I used it to acclimate the fish. The rest of the water for the bowfront was fresh mixed. It's not the easiest way to acclimate, and I had alot of containers and crap lying around lol, but it was worth it. The fish are doing great, and my levels are all at 0 for the first time in awhile. In the old tank, I always had nitrates between 20-40, even after doing 85% water changes. I would leave just enough water so the fish could swim around lol, and I would still get those nitrate readings.
I also have some Turbo Snails, and 1 pretty good sized Hermit Crab. They are also doing great, the acclimation system I came up with seems to have done well. Here's a pic of my hermit, i caught him spinning the shell of one of the Turbo's around lol....

He was probably lookin' in there to see if he could climb in :hilarious
BTW, I also "seeded" the tank with 40 pounds of live sand from my old tank. I added another 40 pounds of aragamax. And any LR that is in there now, was in the 1st container with the fish, so there wouldnt be a "re-cycle" and an ammonia spike.
Hopefully my new Orbit light system will be in Fri. But I have a feeling I wont see it till next week

hagfish

Jonny, are you planning on curing the new LR? I suspect there will be significant die-off even after overnighting it.
I'll see if I can dig up some pics of my 72 bow.

jonny bolt

Wickid noice!
I like your aquascaping job. I love the "island" thing, with a "path" off-centered between the mountains of LR. Sweet. I was planning on doing something similar, especially since I'll only be starting with 45 pounds. I had drawn some stuff out, trying to plan out my strategy lol
Yes, I am definitely gonna cure the rock before it goes in. I wouldnt dare put it in the display without doing so. Got too many friends in there :hilarious I already have the container setup and ready to go for curing. I am using the clear one, the one the fish were in. I took out some of the water from my old tank, and mixed in some fresh saltwater. Heater and airstones all ready to go! Right now I'm trying to get temp up to about 82-83 for curing the new LR.

jonny bolt

SCUMBAG FEDEX. Those bastids. lol. Supposed to get me fiji LR today frum tha Doctiz, but SCUMBAG FEDEX had "no plane space" in Memphis, Tennessee, so my big box is delayed till tomorrow. Those SCUMBAGS. Paid fer overnight, and wont git it. I can guarantee a fight for some money back lol. SCUMBAGS! :hilarious
Bettah be hee-yah in tha mornin' right aftah I eat my bacon, scrambled eggs, home fries 'n wheat toast, or else I'm gonna beat sumbuddies azz.
Flight delay........SCUMBAGS!