I got "Porky"

5.0stang

I just got home about 4hours ago from my lfs and i got a porcupine puffer, he's in a 100 gallon with 2 clowns both about 2 inches. When i first put him in he was swimming around the whole tank fine for about an hour then he just picked a spot in the sand next to the rock and layed down, is this normal? he layed there for a few minutes then started swimming around again and now hes laying down in the same spot. He's not puffing up or breathing hard or being harassed by the other fish i just want to know if it is normal for them to rest sometimes. He also has a couple of his spines that look to be wedged up could this be from being netted? If so will it fix it self?

ledzep fan

Good choice of a fish! I have one in my 120, very friendly fish. So, to answer your questions, yes it's normal for a Porcupine puffer to rest on the sand bed or sometimes o n rocks. With the spines it should go down by itself. Good luck and enjoy!
The Zep

5.0stang

thank you. do you have any smaller fish with it? because i have 2 saltwater tanks and when i got the puffer today i took all my gobies and shrimp out of my 100 an put them into my 40, just incase. do you think it would have eaten my shrim or gobies?

lion_crazz

Sounds very normal for a porcupine puffer. They are great fish!
Make sure you keep an eye on your powerhead intakes. A lot of times, new puffers get sucked up to them. I would put a sponge on the intakes of any powerheads you have in the tank.