I guess this is normal?

jden092901

Im still in the cycle with my tank, its almost there...I think it will be done by sunday. Anyway, when I do a top off with RO water, when the water falls into the saltwater it makes an effect as it is oil in the water. Is that just because the mix of salt and RO water mixing when they have contact?

mike15

yup. its normal. it might mean the salt and RO water have not totally mixed yet but its not a bad thing. If it bothers your fish or other tank inhabitants (you probably dont have any/many fish yet if the tank is cycling) maybe let the newly mixed saltwater sit for a little longer before adding it,
Mike15.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by jden092901
if im doing just a top off..i dont need to have salt in the ro water...just plan ro water, correct?
What you are seeing is the difference in salinity. Your putting freshwater into saltwater. That swirly visual thing is perfectly normal.
Whenever I dive in deeper water, there is usually what we call a thermocline. A quick difference in water temp as you descend or ascend. It has the same looking effect.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by kclester
what is RO water...sorry im a newbie
Reverse Osmosis. It is a method of filtering water to get the cleanest form.

jden092901

From what I have read, and in my oppionion, yes. I have read that some use normal tap water, but I wouldnt. You can go get RO water at a store, or even better by a RO maker. I have seen them anywhere from 70.00 and up. You may beable to find a used one...thats what im looking for.

jden092901

Im not sure about that...I go to walmart and get it...They have the machine where you can get water filled up in gallon jugs or the 5 gallon jugs. Just make sure and read it that it is RO water. The one I get it is reg tap water, then has a carbon run, then through a RO system and UV. Your own RO unit would be the best bet, save in the long run...In the meantime, the water you fill up is like 33 cents a gallon.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by kclester
so u can get RO water at your lfs
If it's a good store, they should have it. Usually kinda pricey though. I am lucky and next to my shop is a water conditioning place that sells RO water for .25 a gallon. I have tested it and it is pure.