I hate identity theft

nas19320

It really sucks being a victim of identity theft, somehow someone got my debit card number and put a bunch of useless items on it. Today when I went to check the mail I had a 3 or 4 packages in it, I thought it was odd to have several packages arrive by USPS on the same day when I haven't ordered anything but thought maybe they are just freebies as many of the packages were trial hormone replacement supplements and other similar items. I then opened a large box which inside was about 10 DVD's and a invoice that I had joined Columbia house DVD program and my debit card had been billed. I quickly went online to check my bank account and sure enough, in about 3 days I have over $50 worth of useless charges, many of them being $1 and the highest being $18. I quickly called my bank and got everything changed but it has me a little paranoid now. I'm thinking it was stolen from PayPal as I made a recent payment with it and the last few days I have been getting 2-3 emails a day asking me to expand my spending limit by opening up my account, I thought it was nothing more than spam, but I'm beginning to wonder now. Don't think I'll be using Paypal for a while if ever again. And on top of that I have a very expensive motorcyle repair that became apparent during my ride today, not a good day at all. :nope:

D

daniel411

Quite sorry about you day. ID theft does suck, fortunately you were able to catch it before the took to much. Will they hold you accountable for the $50? What needs repaired on your yzf?

nas19320

Luckily I did catch it before they took a lot and the bank is going to refund me the money. I don't understand why someone would do that and have no benefit to themselves other than to cause problems, unless it is some sort of program that snatched my card number and just searches for random things to sign up for on the internet, I don't know.
I have a feeling second gear on my bike is going, which from what I have been told, common on the 99-02 YZF's . I had a feeling this problem was coming, I was just hopeing to avoid it.I was looking at possibly getting an R1 last summer as I have a blast riding my friends, when he lets me, but once I found out how expensive insurance was going to be I turned that idea down for the time being and decided to be happy with what I have, as its paid off and in good condition. Being a college student, I couldn't swing the rise in insurance, plus my driving record has a few flaws and I don't need anymore. I asked around people have told me that it would be about a grand to replace second gear as they would have to split the case, I don't know if I want to do that. Doesn't make me happy though as less than a year ago I put a grand into mods on the bike. Looks like I'll be looking at getting an R6.

fishaholic

Are you sure that some retail store didnt sign you up for that crap when you made a puchase. If it is a debit card how did they charge it like a credit card? I had SI come to my house and charged my account for 40 bucks without my approval. I was pissed. Also be careful of key logging programs that can log your keystrokes on you computer, and send them to other sources. (for instance passwords and credit #'s)That is becoming a larger form of internet crime. You can get a spyware program that will take care of this.

nas19320

I guess its not really a credit card as it comes straight out of my checking account but it has a Visa logo so I can use it places where Visa is accepted. The only place I used my card recently was Circuit city and one place online, and I wouldn't think they could sign me up for something and bill me without asking. Plus the items range from, DVD's to weight loss and hormone supplements, to cosmetics and "video doctor" cd and other similar items. I have Spybot and Ad-aware and Norton but obviously I slipped up somewhere, I'm going to have to be more careful in the future.

reefraff

Sounds like someone was playing more of a practical joke on you. At least they send the junk to you instead of going shopping.