I hate my tank...

squidd

A "hang on back" overflow with higher gph return flow (800gph will work with rio2500) would be better than slowing pump.
More flow is better.:)
But a ball valve restrictor on pump side will "fix" problem for now.
:cool:

Originally posted by Squidd
A "hang on back" overflow with higher gph return flow (800gph will work with rio2500) would be better than slowing pump.
More flow is better.:)
But a ball valve restrictor on pump side will "fix" problem for now.

ok so a 800gph hang on back overflow will solve my problem? Which one should I buy and I will buy it :)

Also.. how well is this going to fit on the back of my tank considering the seaclone 150 has to hang on too? Or can that hang on the sump?

squidd

I made mine from a couple of specimen/refuge boxes "u" tubes and a bulkhead about 25.00.
Cpr makes a nice one for about 100.00
There are other brands out there I'm more of a DIYer.
If you got the room put the skimmer in the/on the sump.

Ok.. I think on wed. I will take a trip to my LFS and have them sell me something.. I will keep you all posted if it works or not (crosses fingers)
But also I was curious if I was going overkill with powerheads by ordering four of the 1200 maxi-jets? For a 60 gal. tank.

squidd

4 Maxi-jet @ 295gph = 1180gph plus "about" 600gph (after head loss) from sump = 1780gph....divide by 60gal tank...
Turnover about 29 times per hr. :eek: Might be a bit much;)
Unless you put Salmon in there...swiming upstream:D
Try for 10 to 12 x per hr. (smaller pumps or less big ones)

"We do have a DUAL overflow External Box which can handle 800+
Gallons per hour ~ It is made by SeaLife Systems ~
Comes with dual discharge ( 1" )
Dual Prefilter drain lines and sponge ~
Two - U Tube returns ~
Life Time Guarantee ~ Top of the line"
So is this what I am looking for then?

krunk

jason, do not buy the overflow boxes, jsut more money, you already will ahve way too much flow as it is. i have a question for you...
how fast does your sump run out of water? if it only takes a few minutes then the only thing you ness is a smaller pump, if it takes quite a bit of time, just put a ball valve on the pump, adjust it so it is perfect.

well it will be normal for like 5 or so minutes.. then it will start to make out of water noises (like when you run out of soda with a straw) and then bubbles start flowing in from the heads, then it will stop in about a minute.. and keeps doing this..

squidd

You don't "have to" go with an overflow, unless you want to.
I looked at your picture again and it shows a horizontal line between the drilled outlets.
Generaly "stuff" flows better down hill so maybe if you took out the horizontal line and putin either a "Y" or two drop tubes to the sump you could remove some of the restriction in your present setup.
Also you mentioned a salt "buildup" near the shut off...a possiable leak or when you take it apart you may find restriction or incompleate opening of the valve.
Without "seeing" the system we're all kind of shooting from the hip, but you may be able to make your current setup work and spend your money on other stuff...like fish,salt ,lights,rocks,beer,girls...whatever.;)

david s

looks to me like you have a bottle neck were your 2 overflow lines meet if the one that has both attached fills with water it will cause backflow also. I would try to run both overflow holes seperate strait to sump

gatorcsm

I agree with david. Two separate lines for overflow would be better. The two flows colliding are prob. causing a lot of the slower flow. And like many have said, the pump might just be too big.
The easiest first thing to do though, would be to switch to two overflow drain lines.

marvida

I agree that 1.) Don't buy an overflow. And 2.) Clean up your plumbing. If you can lose any 90 degree fittings it will help a lot then it's as simple as matching your input with your output (ball valve or pump change). IMHO drilled tanks are the way to go. Overflow boxes are for tanks that can't be drilled. Just my .02.