I hate pistol shrimp.

pezenfuego

I have this caribbean pistol shrimp and it is a butt pain. It eats my nass snails...and I've been wanting a skunk cleaner forever. I've heard that these are really hard to care for and generally don't live very long...well that can't be true because I've had this monster for over a year. Yesterday I saw a shrimp body dead on the sand and I literally screamed YES! Then I heard a *click* and realized that it was just a molt...
*sigh* how do I catch this thing?

N

nihoa

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3015704
I have this caribbean pistol shrimp and it is a butt pain. It eats my nass snails...and I've been wanting a skunk cleaner forever. I've heard that these are really hard to care for and generally don't live very long...well that can't be true because I've had this monster for over a year. Yesterday I saw a shrimp body dead on the sand and I literally screamed YES! Then I heard a *click* and realized that it was just a molt...
*sigh* how do I catch this thing?
a pistol killed my cleaner, jimmy the janitor, so i hate them too. we should form a club.
our problem pistol was in a piece of liverock so i took that rock out and flushed him out of it.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Nihoa
http:///forum/post/3016110
a pistol killed my cleaner, jimmy the janitor, so i hate them too. we should form a club.
our problem pistol was in a piece of liverock so i took that rock out and flushed him out of it.
The rock mine hides under has colt coral and feather dusters all over it and is a large foundation piece lol. So I have to make some sort of trap.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/3016120
Is there anything thta will scare a PS?
I don't know...I guess a hawkfish or nonreefsafe wrasse might like to eat one. They hide ALL day, and come out a little at night to "hunt."

naclh2o nut

So that wont work. Maybe you could put in a fish trap then put in an expensive new member to the tank. That way you can catch him.

fenrir

Using traps will not work on those guys. I ended up cathing my clown multiple times before giving up. I litteraly had to take out all of my rocks and put them into buckets to flush the pair out.
When I got to the rock they were in I removed them from the water and took a plastic tube and blew air at them until they came out. Took me an hour but I got the out. Good luck cathing him and I hope you get him soon. It's a shame though there so awesome looking but they kill everything. =(

loopy101

i could mail you my spotted hawkfish he would love to eat your PS but then you would have the same problem he likes to eat snails to... its cool watching him how he hunts down all the snails. but he is also a pain in the rear trying to catch! have him in my frag tank right now trying to figure out what to do with him...

fishkid13

I got nothing but take all of your rocks to one side of the tank and put a divider on it so the only thing on one side is the rocks and fish/ PS on the other.
Just an idea. If you don't want him ill take him, I have been wanting a PS.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by fishkid13
http:///forum/post/3017340
I got nothing but take all of your rocks to one side of the tank and put a divider on it so the only thing on one side is the rocks and fish/ PS on the other.
Just an idea. If you don't want him ill take him, I have been wanting a PS.
Not a bad idea...
I'll have to find that divider...
In any case I'll wait until this Friday to try anything. It's easier that way because I can stay up all night friday. I can watch it closely so no matter what, I don't run the risk of waking up to a dead/scared to death fish in a bottle.

fishkid13

I got nothing but put a divider in the tank and move all of the rocks on one side and leave the fish/PS/ and what every else you want on the other side so he is easy to catch. That way he can't really hide all to well and your corals are still under water.
Just a thought. And if you don't want him I will take him off your hands, I have always wanted a PS.