I have 2 ?

john,jr

I have a 100gal FOWLR Ben up for 6 mo. Just now Seeing air bubbles 1 & 2 at the time pop up out of my sand. Is this a problem?
I also am setting up a 75gal for a reef. 1st day and need to know if it is to soon for cheto in the refuge?

mike15

So the air bubbles are coming out of the sand? How deep is your sand bed?
It usually means that the bacteria in the sand are participating in the process of denitrification (The process of neutralizing nitrates). It should be harmless, beneficial, and an indication that your sand bed is effectively acting as a nitrate filter.
Oh, and you may want to wait on the chaeto so that it does not have to go through the cycling process. Also, until the cycle finishes, there will be no nitrates and other things for it to thrive on. Hope this helps,
Mike15.

john,jr

Originally Posted by Mike15
http:///forum/post/2645304
So the air bubbles are coming out of the sand? How deep is your sand bed?
It usually means that the bacteria in the sand are participating in the process of denitrification (The process of neutralizing nitrates). It should be harmless, beneficial, and an indication that your sand bed is effectively acting as a nitrate filter.
Oh, and you may want to wait on the chaeto so that it does not have to go through the cycling process. Also, until the cycle finishes, there will be no nitrates and other things for it to thrive on. Hope this helps,
Mike15.
Thanks a million. My sand is about 2 inches.

1journeyman

I'm a little surprised that a 2 inch sand bed has nitrate fixing bacteria.
Post more about your tank. Inverts? Fish? Water turnover? etc.