I have a baby snail

mrmaroon

I have not added any new LR to the tank in wuite some time and I have a baby snail. It is about 1 mm long and has a long pointed shell. I didn't think snails would breed in cap. Maybe they just grow slowly? I have astreas and nassarius right now.
Any ideas?

finland

Sounds like a cerith snail. They are cone shaped snails and stay pretty small. Just a guess as to what it could be. And yes, there are some snails that commonly propagate in a tank.

bang guy

Is it very thin and bright white like a grain of rice? It may not be a baby. It could be a parasitic Snail that is preying on your Astreas. I don't have my spell check but try a search on Pyramidellid (sp?).

mrmaroon

It does fit that descriptino but I have not lost any snails and I have never seen this thing before. But you may be right.

reefsoe

Pyramid snails very bad!
However if its big enough check the top of the shell... if it has a hole it could be a limpet...
Limpets are great in the tanks and i had none for 2 years, then they exploded in population. keep an eye on em they get to a nice size and mine bury themselves in the sand causing it to mix up.
Limpets come in all types too so check yours out and look for more, mine happen to start out like rice and then get a black shell with a hole in the top, thus a keyhole limpett