I have NEVER seen this before!

drakken

OK, I'm subscribed to the hitchhiker thread and have seen many of the typical critters that show up in our tanks. So what is this thing???
It's about the size of a small caterpillar. Only about 1 inch was showing so I have no idea it's actual length.
What is it!!!???

drakken

Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
Does it move? Try taking it out of the tank to get a better photo.

Yes, it moves. I almost got it by sucking it up with a turkey baster but I missed. It was behind the filter intake peeking out.

drakken

Hard to say what it is without a better photo. Try to catch it again when you get a chance.

It was on the back wall so it was hard to get a good pic. Is there any green worms with black spots that are hitchhikers?

drakken

It could be some type of nudibranch or a sea hare.

I can email you a hi-res 2meg pic of it if you think that would help. I posted the pics on Flictr and the pic were re-sized smaller.

babyb

looks like a tomato worm to me from the pic but of course that cant be right, id go with some type of nudi

drakken

Originally Posted by BabyB
looks like a tomato worm to me from the pic but of course that cant be right, id go with some type of nudi
Nothing to worry about then?

yosemite sam

Originally Posted by Drakken
Nothing to worry about then?
Well, it appears to be eating your hair algae, so hopefully it is a good thing. Without a proper ID, however, you can't be sure, there are many different types of nudibranchs, some of which eat algae, but many eat corals or other things we don't want them too.
Try looking for photos of sea hares (Aplysia sp.), as they do eat hair algae.

drakken

Well, it appears to be eating your hair algae, so hopefully it is a good thing. Without a proper ID, however, you can't be sure, there are many different types of nudibranchs, some of which eat algae, but many eat corals or other things we don't want them too.
Try looking for photos of sea hares (Aplysia sp.), as they do eat hair algae.

I did search around but haven't found a picture that is a match. I'll try to find it again and get more pics.