I have the dreaded aiptasia!!and a ?

wrassecal

I got a small rock with pulsing xenia on it a week or so ago. Tonight while showing the tank off, I realized there are several aiptasia's on the rock. There are many holes in this little piece of rock and no telling how many aiptasia's. So will I kill my xenia if I make a kalk paste, take the rock out and just shoot every hole in it full of kalk paste?

blix70

chem- marine makes a stop aiptasia reef safe liquid that you inject into the aiptasia and it kills them. a tank i recently bought has them and i've been picking them off 1 at a time.

j21kickster

it shouldnt- i have killed many aptasia in close proximity to my zooanthids (growing between them) and xenia- i would suggest that you touch your xenia to make it close, that way there is less chance of it getting inside it :)

wrassecal

I've got the rock floating in a net right now, don't want to give those little devils a chance to spread. The rock is only the size of a childs fist so I was thinking I'd get some tank water in a bowl, keep it in the water and start injecting. Then float it for a day or so to see if any show up anymore. I was also thinking about picking up a couple peppermint shrimp tomorrow just in case any got to any other rocks. I can use pickling lime right? Sound like a good plan or not?

nm reef

Peppermint shrimp removed the only few I ever had...and they've never returned. If possible I would inject all you can and continue to monitor/inject as needed...plus add a few peppermints if it is possible. They can and will spread to plague porportions if left unchecked.:cool:
As for additives to stop them...I'd be cautious about using them myself...but then I'm cautious about any and all miricle cures out there.:(

wrassecal

NMreef - what do think about my plan, right above your post? You probably didn't see it, we posted so close together.

leigh

yeah, couple days won't show if you got them...you're looking more at a couple months...sorry to be the bringer of bad news :(...but persistence with them works.

xkikker360

why wont anyone answer me?? i need information....ya'll smart people help me out please. Dont ignore my please for help. im too lazy to do a search on the new hobbyist forum.

wrassecal

Originally posted by xkikker360
why wont anyone answer me?? i need information....ya'll smart people help me out please. Dont ignore my please for help. im too lazy to do a search on the new hobbyist forum.

Here ya go lazy;) aiptasia
Well my link won't work - just use the search button on the top of the page and type in "aiptasia" lots of info and pics.:)