I have to admit...

beenbitten

OK, so I posted a couple of weeks ago that my husband wanted to get me more interested in his hobby/obsession. For Valentines Day he bought a 20 gal that he wanted me to put seahorses in. But, I already figured it would be too small - and that was confirmed on the sh forum. I was at a loss as to what route to take with the tank until another member suggested creating a zoa tank. I'm Hooked! I have 3 small colonies and a larger one. I also have one blue ricordea and a gorgeous Kenya. I am now wondering what else would be safe to add to this tank.
The tank was established with lfs pre-cycled water, ls, and lr so it is not as "young" as it sounds, The parameters are excellent, lighting is getting an upgrade soon.
Currently have:
1 kenya
3 small zoa colonies
1 med large zoa colony
1 blue ricordea
1 six line wrasse
2 firetail gobies
2 peppermint shrimp
2 narcissus snails
5 - 10 blue leg crabs
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

meowzer

More snails would be a good idea.....
are you looking for coral suggestions? we need to know what lights you have
I would not add any more fish...the 6line is a meanie

beenbitten

Yes to the corals. And no, no more fish - everyone is getting along fine and that is the way I like it.
Presently, the lighting is only T5 but am upgrading next week to a dual light with actinics. All the zoa, ricordea, and kenya are doing well at present. My lfs has only a limited supply of colorful zoa that they get in and rarely ever any ricordea. He had a gorgeous neon orange mushroom that resembled the ricordea, but I cannot remember what he called it.

1guydude

pics???? i get a better picture with pics lol. How many bulbs in ur fixture. I would think t5 w/ sufficent bulbs would be fine. No damsels thats surprising... its a 20 long correct?

beenbitten

Nope, no damsels! And I knew better than to post without pics - LOL. I have been researching the threads on here for long enough to know pics would be wanted, so I will get those up today. Just one T5 Coralife 10,000k bulb in a traditional hood at present on a 20 gal long. As I posted earlier, I will be upgrading to a dual bulb hood to add an actinic bulb next week.

slice

Sounds like you are having fun, glad to hear! It would be nice to see pics.
What in the world is "pre-cycled" water?? Sounds like regular water sold at a higher price.....

1guydude

lol regular water sold at high price sounds $$$$..... idk if its actual ocean water but i was told that this could contain parasites and other things not wanted in a home aquarium. Not being mean or nothing just curious and tryin to be helpful...
omg work is so boring

monsinour

There is a certain place on the internet that sells oddball zoos and ricordea at great prices. I have purchased from there and aside from the zoa eating nudi, i was thrilled with my order and quality of items. As a matter of fact, I have to go work on the wife to let me order some more from there. The place has a really cool looking zoa frag called "magicians palys" that are really cheap. Let me know if you want to know where I am refering to.

beenbitten

LOL, it is water that has been run through their own aquariums - and surprisingly cheaper than you might think. This saves me the headache of mixing sw for water changes. Also less stressful on the livestock purchased from them.

beenbitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384755/i-have-to-admit#post_3371771
There is a certain place on the internet that sells oddball zoos and ricordea at great prices. I have purchased from there and aside from the zoa eating nudi, i was thrilled with my order and quality of items. As a matter of fact, I have to go work on the wife to let me order some more from there. The place has a really cool looking zoa frag called "magicians palys" that are really cheap. Let me know if you want to know where I am refering to.
I would love to know! Are the frags decent size? The smaller ones in my tank are from here, 5 & 10 polyp. The larger one is from my lfs. The larger one was cheaper than the ones from here. What will eliminate the nudi should they hitchhike in?

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenBitten http:///forum/thread/384755/i-have-to-admit#post_3371772
LOL, it is water that has been run through their own aquariums - and surprisingly cheaper than you might think.
So, they sell their used water after changes, huh? Not trying to harp or anything, but they sell their used water that may have been depleted of trace elements, cal and mag, may have elevated nitrates and such...hmmm...wish I had someone to buy my used water

I also buy premixed water from the LFS, but it is new water, not used.
Nice pieces you have there!

1guydude

which is why i use treated tap water for water changes and distilled water from walmart for evaporation. Idk if u trust ur lfs but i try not to even let any of their water from the animal bags in my tank! I cant get myself to spend the $40 on shipping from a website lol.
+1
Quote:
used water that may have been depleted of trace elements, cal and mag,

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/384755/i-have-to-admit#post_3371781
which is why i use treated tap water for water changes and distilled water from walmart for evaporation. Idk if u trust ur lfs but i try not to even let any of their water from the animal bags in my tank! I cant get myself to spend the $40 on shipping from a website lol.
+1
I have 2 trusted LFS nearby, but I still ask them everytime I walk in how long ago they changed their membranes and filters. Then they show me their TDS meter. I also randomly check the new water and so far, all is good.

nikesb

treated tap water still usually has heavy metals in it, which can cause major problems down the road

beenbitten

LOL
No not "used" water. He has tanks set up in the event he decides to expand - so far his wife won't let him (so familiar anyone?) So he just has a few pounds of lr and live sand in them in hopes that she will let loose the purse strings. He helps those of us with smaller tanks get established quicker. My husband started his tank off that way over a year ago and mine was started early February. For water changes we use their pre-mix, I think I just confused myself!
Started off with pre-cycled water from his tanks that he wants to expand. Water changes are just regular pre-mix, not from his tanks. There, I think I clarified.
. oh- well The tank hasn't lost any life yet Thank goodness.

beenbitten

Back to my original purpose of my post, now that the water issue has been cleared up (I think), What other coral can I add that will be safe?

monsinour

The water sounds iffy at best. but anyways, I sent ya the PM.
I would suggest mixing up your own water. In the long run, it will be cheaper.

beenbitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/384755/i-have-to-admit#post_3371968
So i picked up a 4bulb t5 system off of a auction website for $70 and it has moonlight led....
That sounds like a great deal! I think a 4bulb would be a bit much for my little 20. Looking at an auction site at a T5 HO 2bulb set up, but am wondering if that would be a bit much - only has to light to a 15" depth.

1guydude

Quote:
only has to light to a 15" depth.
like ur tanks only "15 deep right???? i put mine on wood blocks but im sure u couls fashion something. Mine is the oddsea 24" its kool but the bulbs arent the greatest. Theyll be fine for me until the 6 months mark, then ill go w/ coralife(?) bulbs cuz there at the LFS and same 24w