I have worms

fishhooked

I have noticed a few centipede like worms crawling around on the rock recently and was wondering what they were. Some are small, 1/4 inch long, there is one that is about an inch long and much fatter. They look like skinny centipedes with sharp edges. Are these a good thing to have?
25g with 10lbs of LR.

ak_reefer

Sounds like they are bristle worms and yes they are good to have. Some people have varying opinions about them, some like them some dont. HTH

tankstolove

Bristle worms are considered a pest in every book, trade show, personal conversation, seminar, public speaking and so on. Although I have noticed a few times on this forum, people say that they are ok to have. If so, why are they ok to have? I don't dismiss anything once I understand the reason.
Actually in most reading, they put bristle worms under desease! Bristle worms come in many shapes and sizes. some as small as a few cm and some species that reach over 20 inches. I have lost clams due to them crawling into their siphons and consuming the beautiful creature inside out. They consume every thing with no regard and are not effected by coral defenses, like stinging.
They are unusual creatures in that if you try to remove them while they are half way into a rock the part remaining will heal grow an end and reproduce emediatly. They can over come a system in months. They reproduce sexually and asexually. So if there is just one they are still able to come back. Once you have them it is routine mantainence to remove them. To see how bad you have them. At night sneek up to the tank quietly, they can detect vibration so don't come to slow. look at your aquarium and they are chewing on something.
It is simple to remove them. take a 1-2 inch pvc pipe cap both ends, drill holes big enough for the bristles to fit into. Bait with meat, place in the tank before night and retreave it before light. The worms will have taken the bait and ate it got to fat to get out and bamm! You rid of the pest in a bucket and burry it in a hole outside. Don't touch them, they sting and bite and it is very painful in most species. To make the catch more bountiful bait many traps in the same night. Remove the next morning because you don't want to cause a huge ammonia spike. Repeat this proccess until you catch nothing. Also repeat every few months, since it is unlikely you will rid the tank completely.

jagnmeg99

Tank,
How big would you say to drill the holes? What kind of meaty entice should I use (at the time I only have brine) will that do? And is it truely that easy? I have a few and want them out.
Thanks

tankstolove

The holes should be big enough for them to fit into, there are so many species there is no sure fire answer unless I saw them. There are varying sizes I'm sure. Yes it is that easy it'sjust like catching a monkey. They go in for the food and can't fit out. Use clams, mussels, shrimp any meaty food. Don't stress out though, this will take care of the pests. you can also pick them out with tweazers if they are in the open, only if they are in the open and can't burrow before you grab them, don't get stung.
Good keeping.

nm reef

Now wait just a second ... Not everything written/said/thought of indicates bristle worms are bad!! That in my personal experience is just wrong. Before going on a trapping expedition I would strongly urge you to research bristle worms just a little bit. They can be a very positive part of the diversity needed to maintain a stable balanced eco-system. The are basically scavengers that also help to maintain a good DSB. Below is just a sample of the info available that is NOT totally negative.
<a href="http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/bristleworm.htm" target="_blank">bristle worms</a>

ed r

I believe most recent literature does not say that bristle worms are bad and need to be removed. That is generally found in older writings. With the advent of deep sand beds for most new reef tanks, a lot more has been learned about the creatures that inhabit them. Most current authorities IMO (including Dr. Ronald Shimek) recommend having them in your DSB. I have deliberately introduced some in my tank and have found smaller ones recenty, indicating some reproduction or accidental introduction as well. My opinion is that bristle worms will rarely, if at all, attack healthy animals in a reef tank. They are frequently seen in close proximity to clams and corals. When those clams and corals sicken and die, the worms feast. Then the worms get blamed for killing the creatures instead of being given credit for helping to clean up a mess.
Like in the medical field, aquarium science finds new information all the time. Something that may have been said as gospel a few years ago may now be stated much differently. I strongly recommend giving additional weight to more recent writing when evaluating conflicting instructions.

I agree with NM Reef, bristle worms can be a good thing if proplery controlled. Obviously if you have an outbreak of huge, rampaging, child stealing worms...then you should get rid of them. But I have a few around 6" long and when first noticed, I watched them and they seem to be great at cleaning up left-over food and debris on the sandbed. They have not caused any problems whatsoever in my tank..so far anyway.

jagnmeg99

Ok I thought I wanted them out, but I will do a little more research before I do anything....I don't at this point see a problem happening with them in there, but I just thought they were bad to have.....Thanks off to research I go.

richard rendos

I used to hear that they should always be removed. but recently the trend it to keep them. I have never removed them, unless by accident. I feel bio-diversity in a reef tank in essential to maintaining a healthy reef. Just as diversifying fishes diets is necessary to keep fish healthy.