I heard Squidd is THE MAN

stimpy4242

Hey do you think you can change your design to accomodate this size sump fuge? I have a 55g i want to use for a sump fuge. the dimension s are 48x13x20 Internal dimensions are actually 47.5x12x19. Can you enlarge your design on the cad and make it fit those dimensions?

chuckcac

Originally Posted by stimpy4242
Hey do you think you can change your design to accomodate this size sump fuge? I have a 55g i want to use for a sump fuge. the dimension s are 48x13x20 Internal dimensions are actually 47.5x12x19. Can you enlarge your design on the cad and make it fit those dimensions?

so you would be using 1/4" acrylic? - i'll give it a shot for ya...

architects get $150 an hour JK

i would need to know what pump/ skimmer you would use so i can provide the right size footprint for each...

stimpy4242

Sure, well I can use acrylic or glass...the tank i am using for the sump is glass. The skimmer has a footprint of 12x11 it is an asm g3...i am using a pondmaster 2400gph pump which sits the way i want it at about 4.5 x whatever, but smaller than the tank width...i gave that compartment a little extra around 6inches...would be good. if you need more info let me know

chuckcac

things i need to know...
1. how much water should the ASM G3 sit in? (for baffle height)
2. how big is the pondmaster return line?
3. do you/will you have an auto top off?

stimpy4242

The skimmer should sit in between 6-10 inches of water. so make it 10. Pondmaster return is 1 inch, and shoots straight up from where the pump sits. yes i will have an auto topoff. This comes from a 1/4" line from my RODI unit.

V

vicegrip

i love the design.
I'm going to apply it to a 29g for my 75G tank the overflow is rated 600gph. I'm thinking a mag-drive 9.5? It's a 4' rise.

I would like some more info on a hob skimmer and brand prefered for this style sump. :thinking:

chuckcac

Originally Posted by vicegrip
i love the design.
I'm going to apply it to a 29g for my 75G tank the overflow is rated 600gph. I'm thinking a mag-drive 9.5? It's a 4' rise.

I would like some more info on a hob skimmer and brand prefered for this style sump. :thinking:

Thanks... glad you like it...

when you say 4' rise (head)... have you included any elbows? everytime you add a 90 degree bend in the return you add 1' to the calculation...
the 9.5 would push roughly 800gph at 4' of 'head'
this can be adjusted with a ball valve in the return line...

i chose the urchin for my setup because i am limited in space (and it gets great reviews) for a HOB i would recommend the Aqua C Remora

stimpy4242

Hey thanks that is perfect. I am going to make the fuge a bit higher, but that does not really change anything...i think I am going to make it at 17". Also is the return chamber 8" across? Could you send me the picture in a higher rez? phil@philipdepalo.com thank you very much! yeah my supplies are 1.5" but no worries. Thank you

chuckcac

Hey thanks that is perfect. I am going to make the fuge a bit higher, but that does not really change anything...i think I am going to make it at 17". Also is the return chamber 8" across? Could you send me the picture in a higher rez? phil@philipdepalo.com thank you very much! yeah my supplies are 1.5" but no worries. Thank you
I made the return area 8” because it is always a good idea to have extra water in that area due to evaporation… when the level of water drops due to evaporation… that’s where it shows up. I know you said you would have an auto top off but its always better to be safe than sorry…
You said you would make it taller? it probably doesn’t show up very well on-screen but its at 1’-8” or (20”) now… you'll see when i send you the high-rez image...
good luck - let me know how it works for you
-chuck

chuckcac

duh... nevermind "make the fuge taller" ....17" as opposed to the 14" i have drawn... i get it

V

vicegrip

Originally Posted by chuckcac
Thanks... glad you like it...

when you say 4' rise (head)... have you included any elbows? everytime you add a 90 degree bend in the return you add 1' to the calculation...
the 9.5 would push roughly 800gph at 4' of 'head'
this can be adjusted with a ball valve in the return line...

i chose the urchin for my setup because i am limited in space (and it gets great reviews) for a HOB i would recommend the Aqua C Remora
A ball valve won't hurt the pump none, right. That what I was thinking any ways.
Sorry I did'nt specifictiy Needle Wheel System , I think you can hob.

+Boy Looking at that AquaC Urchin Pro that looks nice too.

mpls man

Originally Posted by quads4_lif
I dont see the need for the second bubble trap inbetween the fuge and return. Here is my setup, and I dont have any problems with bubbles plus you have more room for your return chamber or fuge. Also you want your feed from your DT to enter your sump at or just below the water level to help reduce bubbles.

In your last pic ..what are you using for a refugium light ? a MH.
thanks

chuckcac

Originally Posted by MPLS MAN
In your last pic ..what are you using for a refugium light ? a MH.
thanks
good question...
bump to hear from quads...

stimpy4242

Yes if you want to accomplish what the fuge does. The goal of the fuge is to add an area with excess LR maybe a deeper sand bed as well as macro algae that you would not normally want to see in your main tank. The sump...is usually the area where you put your protein skimmer and maybe some other additions, like auto top off or thermometer and such. You would not want to skim the fuge water. Defeats the purpose. If you just wanted a fuge with no skimmer I imagine you could have the return pump in there, but there is all that stuff that would get sucked into the pump, so it would still need an extra chamber...