I just bought another sailboat!!!

tx reef

It took me forever to name the last boat. Maybe I should start another "Help me name my sailboat" thread like I did for the other boat.... :thinking:

poniegirl

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Should I name my new boat the same as my old one, or come up with a new name?
You must give the new boat its own name. There is some superstition connected with re-naming vessels, so here is an idea from a sailing forum I thought you might appreciate:
"We too acquired a boat with a rather poor name which needed to be changed. After an appropriate period of contemplation and selection, Neptune was requested to approve the switch and to welcome the newly named vessel. Our request was accompanied by an adequate amount of Mount Gay Eclipse rum, delivered to Neptune directly overboard, all in proper form, of course, with reference to Aeolus, Borealis, etc. We feel this approach was quite effective since we proceeded to win most of the silver at the club that year, and have done well since without additional libations over the side.
Other postings suggest tequila, but IMHO that such an inherently land-based substance (it comes from CACTUS, after all - how far from the ocean can you go??!!?) may not be viewed in as positive a light as the traditional rum by the powers that be. (Or they may not be, but would we be having this discussion if we were sure?) Scotch (single malt, from some lonely rocky isle near Stornoway, if possible) may also work well. I would stay away from tequila. The bugs in it aren''t even weevils, so you won''t garner any credit from Neptune for them either.
Happy sailing!"
TX, I am not generally a superstitious sort, but I do believe the name must be unique, and not a name previously used by you. Remember, boats are female, and imagine the havok if you call one by a name from your past. Need I say more?

swlover

My parents owned a 40 ft cabin cruiser back in the 80's..boy was it fun! I wished they never sold it...all steel hull..they named it THE TANK! It was pretty old, not sure on the date when it was made, but it had alot of history attached to it. Good luck with your boat and I think you should name it Rum Rider!

poniegirl

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Remember, boats are female, and imagine the havok if you call one by a name from your past. Need I say more?
Whoa! I meant giving the new boat the name of a BOAT from your past.