I just fraged my Purple Rain Monti

reefforbrains

Max, I love that you seeded the existing skel.
Going to look top notch when it gows out.....now to get some bits mailed up to your northern NV friends on with your next fraggin..............

maxalmon

Thanks! I have an entire summers worth of frags to attach to about 20 heads of coral skelatons, some as big 18" around which I'm going to encrust with zoa's, sps etc..
I was very cautious with my initial fragging, wanted to make sure the mother colony survived with minimal problems, now I'm not so nervous about fragging this one so I going to go ahead cut abut half of it into 3/8 squares and attach to reef plugs and grow them out.

renogaw

i wish i had never sent out a box of coral skeletons to someone back when i first started this addiction (was supposed to be a trade, and i got stiffed big time
). I've been seeing people put frags onto skeletons, and i have a neon green zoo that's on a tonga branch and it grows better than the zoos i have on rock. I think its such a great idea!

reefforbrains

Oh you have to save me one. The smaller the better. Ill be down in LV end of next month. Let me and Mrs RFB take you and yours to lunch. Always good to meet other locals.
And with or without the frag. I would like to meet ya being from NV and the boards as we will be south anyways.

rabid frog

Wow that purple monti is cool. I think I will try my superman, bali poker star and my rainbow monties. Maybe get a piece of each on a moon brain skeleton or something and watch them all grow together.

maxalmon

Originally Posted by rabid frog
Wow that purple monti is cool. I think I will try my superman, bali poker star and my rainbow monties. Maybe get a piece of each on a moon brain skeleton or something and watch them all grow together.
Experts, correct me if I'm wrong but won't the above corals attack each other if mounted on the same substrate even though they are all monties?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Experts, correct me if I'm wrong but won't the above corals attack each other if mounted on the same substrate even though they are all monties?
yes

reefkprz

Originally Posted by maxalmon
they sure will, the dominant one will kill and grow over the others.

maxalmon

Thats what I thought.....Can you imagine the cool designs and frags you could create if they would "All just get along"

rabid frog

I knew they would eventually attack eachother, but it would deffinately take some time before it even came to that. But in the mean time I can have 3 montis on the same rock, Once they get into attack range you just frag the 3 apart. There is a guy over on -- that has 2 encrustings growing together and they have made some sort of boundry for now that neither has crossed for now.
I think it would also just be neat to see which of the 3 was the fastest grower. I am going to score a piece of Tyree's Sunset Monti too. That might be nice to add as well.

maxalmon

I'm always interested in projects like this, keep us updated on the the Tyree and if you decide to frag onto the same substrate, interesting to see the results