I just got some ORA Screaming Green Birdsnest

C

calvertbill

from SWF and they're already one of my favorites.
Only thing is I QT everything
and the tank I've put it in to serve out its quarantine is a 20 that I normally use for LPS and softie frags. The only fish in the tank is a large Clarkii (which I received in the same order). I do have 2 other tanks that are pulling QT duty but all three have PCs. If I put the birdsnest high up in the 20 with good flow is this enough light to serve out a six week QT (the quarantine would only have needed to be two weeks if it was just the corals but I had no place else to put the clown without starting a fight.
I have freeze dried cyclopeze handy, do I mix it with water in a baster and spot feed it?

pbnj

I'm guilty of not quarantining anything. I admire your care, but you might be doing more harm than good putting a Bird's Nest in a tank with PCs.
As for Cyclop-eeze, dissolve it with tank water. I have a fairly lage colony of Green Bird's Nest as well as a Pink Bird's Nest and I don't spot feed. I turn off the overflow/filter for about any hour and just let it blow around.

stanlalee

I dont QT corals at all. a 10 minute dip in lugols solution or a good reef dip is more effective than a 6 month coral QT. they simply drop off and drop dead stuff you may never visably see thru QTing. if you do eventually see something turn up in the QT dipping it would have eliminated it before it became obvious.

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2970171
I dont QT corals at all. a 10 minute dip in lugols solution or a good reef dip is more effective than a 6 month coral QT. they simply drop off and drop dead stuff you may never visably see thru QTing. if you do eventually see something turn up in the QT dipping it would have eliminated it before it became obvious.
I'm less afraid of a parasite traveling on a coral frag than I am of the water it's shipped in.

gatorwpb

If the parameters remain stable throughout the 6 weeks, it should be fine. It may brown out a little, but the color will return once it is put in the display tank.
I also dont QT sps, but I will dip from now on.

trippkid

I don't QT anything, just dips in one or more concoctions for corals, then into the tank. The Green BN(Are you just talking about the ORA Green BN that has been around awhile?), will like a fair amount of light and flow, it is a pretty fast grower, I have had mine for about 2yrs, and have fragged it many times. Good luck, I would just give it a dip in Revive and Lugol's, maybe an Interceptor dip for a couple of hours if you want to be extra careful(red bugs). Have a good weekend.
Matt

C

calvertbill

Okay so this problem is no more as I just ordered a ballast and Phoenix 14K MH 150 for a reef optics reflector I'd won in a MACNA raffle last year. I'll use this for the QT. I'm feeding it frozen cyclopeeze and hopefully it should be good to go.
It broke during shipping so I'll superglue the frag onto a piece of rubble and I'll have two!