I just really need to rant about this! xD

christinaja

Instant Ocean test kits.
I got a kit a little while ago and wow I hate it.
You have to carefully open this small packet of powery acid or some other dangerous chemical, and while you're trying to get the stuff in the little "vial" (idk what to call it) of course some of it gets on your hand, so you run to the sink to wash it off. You come back, and put that little rubber cap on. So then when you're shaking it for however many mintues, you feel something wet on your hand. Oh, look at that, I'm holding the cap on with 4 fingers pressing down so hard my hand hurts, and it's leaking.
-__-
So while you're washing acid off your hands, you miss the test results. If you got that far.
adgaldsgj!
I just felt like I needed to complain to complete strangers today xD
I really want to get a better test kit (also one for nitrate that it's lowest measurement isnt 10ppm) any suggestions?
I really like the API ones that I use for my freshwater tanks, but I've heard they're not accurate for saltwater.
Soo what do you think?

flower

Originally Posted by Christinaja
http:///forum/post/3144998
Instant Ocean test kits.
I got a kit a little while ago and wow I hate it.
You have to carefully open this small packet of powery acid or some other dangerous chemical, and while you're trying to get the stuff in the little "vial" (idk what to call it) of course some of it gets on your hand, so you run to the sink to wash it off. You come back, and put that little rubber cap on. So then when you're shaking it for however many mintues, you feel something wet on your hand. Oh, look at that, I'm holding the cap on with 4 fingers pressing down so hard my hand hurts, and it's leaking.
-__-
So while you're washing acid off your hands, you miss the test results. If you got that far.
adgaldsgj!
I just felt like I needed to complain to complete strangers today xD
I really want to get a better test kit (also one for nitrate that it's lowest measurement isnt 10ppm) any suggestions?
I really like the API ones that I use for my freshwater tanks, but I've heard they're not accurate for saltwater.
Soo what do you think?
That about sums it up on how to use it...
I agree, the top leaks, the little packets are a pain. However they are not all that dangerous. With a little practice you quit wasting your powder.
Shake it down, then snip the packet open and pinch it so it opens up. They are foil so you can make a nice crease. Pour the packet contents into the test vial, cap it and shake...yes it leaks but don't fret. Do the test, then wash your hands. On the ones where you have to wait set up an egg timer...then wash your hands.
I like the Instant ocean marine test kit. I have found it is very accurate and much easier to read.

cranberry

I don't get why they can't make these vials leak proof (I've never used the Instant Ocean test kit, but there are others that leak too). If you shake between adding the solutions, then the water lose is variable making the test results equally variable.