I just saw a product made by ATM (the company from the show "tanked" on animal planet). Its called ATM colony... Anyone try it yet?

kilofey

I assume its gotta work because they set up tanks so quickly... Prolly not as quickly as the show leads you to believe, but still quickly none the less.
They make one for fresh water and one for salt water, so theres gotta be some validity to it since there are different strains of bacteria for fresh and salt (which is more than I can say for nutrifin cycle)... they tell you exactly which kinds of bacteria are contained in the bottle, so its not just garbage that will "jump start" a cycle.
I saw it and it sparked my interest... Just wondering if anyone has used it or knows about it or can research it and let me know if its worth buying. Id like to have some on hand for when I add a fish to my qt tank to give it a boost

geoj

You need to give more product info.
I use DrTim's Aquatics, One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria to cycle in 2-3 weeks with low bio-load. It normally takes 4-5 weeks without the addition in most of the tanks I have set up.

kilofey

Ive used dr tims with great results. I love the stuff :) ... Just curious if anyone out there has tried it cause it sparked my interest. Everyone raggs on the show because of how quickly they set up tanks... Just made me wonder if this is their miricle product cause whatever theyre doing obviously works since theyre such a huge, well known company

novahobbies

Google Aquanerd's Blog about the products. They're called Colony (for the insta-cycle stuff), Outbreak (a "sludge remover"), Agent Green (I actually like this name...for Phosphate removal), and others. Essentially existing products that have been rebranded and possibly re-worked a bit.
While I make no claims to the efficacy of these products, I'll admit this is a good marketing strategy. More power to 'em, but I *do* wish they would take the "instant" title off of all these things.

jasonelmore12

Not true. Many things work instantly out of the bottle. Instant is a relative term. Dechlorinators work on contact, which is instant. Agent Green, the phosphate remover, works instantly on contact. So that is instant out of a bottle. But how do we define "instant"? Does instant mean "blink of an eye"? Or is that even too slow? It is for a house fly.
Colony works in about a week, and compared to six weeks that is instant, relatively speaking.
With nitrifying bacteria the only "wait" involved is waiting for them to divide and form a sizable colony. That's it. That's all the hoopla is about with "the wait". So, if you pour the entire colony in at the beginning what exactly are you waiting for? Can anyone tell me? There's nothing to wait for!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///t/391491/i-just-saw-a-product-made-by-atm-the-company-from-the-show-tanked-on-animal-planet-its-called-atm-colony-anyone-try-it-yet#post_3472137
I assume its gotta work because they set up tanks so quickly... Prolly not as quickly as the show leads you to believe, but still quickly none the less.
They make one for fresh water and one for salt water, so theres gotta be some validity to it since there are different strains of bacteria for fresh and salt (which is more than I can say for nutrifin cycle)... they tell you exactly which kinds of bacteria are contained in the bottle, so its not just garbage that will "jump start" a cycle.
I saw it and it sparked my interest... Just wondering if anyone has used it or knows about it or can research it and let me know if its worth buying. Id like to have some on hand for when I add a fish to my qt tank to give it a boost
Hi,
I use the bacteria from Aquaripure. They sell a bottle for the filter, it's potent stuff, I dump it in a tank to get things started along with a chunk of shrimp or pure ammonia...
Nothing can really take the place of a good bacteria soaked sponge from the sump/tank to get a hospital or quarantine tank started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonelmore12
http:///t/391491/i-just-saw-a-product-made-by-atm-the-company-from-the-show-tanked-on-animal-planet-its-called-atm-colony-anyone-try-it-yet#post_3477356
Not true. Many things work instantly out of the bottle. Instant is a relative term. Dechlorinators work on contact, which is instant. Agent Green, the phosphate remover, works instantly on contact. So that is instant out of a bottle. But how do we define "instant"? Does instant mean "blink of an eye"? Or is that even too slow? It is for a house fly.
Colony works in about a week, and compared to six weeks that is instant, relatively speaking.
With nitrifying bacteria the only "wait" involved is waiting for them to divide and form a sizable colony. That's it. That's all the hoopla is about with "the wait". So, if you pour the entire colony in at the beginning what exactly are you waiting for? Can anyone tell me? There's nothing to wait for!
Hi and welcome to the site....the bacteria still needs something to feed on to multiply. Bacteria only grows proportionate to the bioload, that's why we can only add a few fish at once. It gives the bacteria time to adjust and multiply according to how much waste the new critter adds. So the WAIT is to let the bacteria colonies grow and attach to the rock and sand (and anything else they can cling to) so that when you put the critter into the tank there is enough good guys to eat up the waste, so the critter isn't swimming in it's own ammonia.
The bottles instructions say add a little at a time because if there is not enough ammonia for the colony to feed on they die off and that means you wasted the product. A chunk of raw shrimp or pure ammonia takes care of that delay and provides plenty of waste for them to feed on.

beaslbob

IME starting the tank with lotsa macro algaes right from the start will do a better job then anything in a bottle.
my .02

In my opinion I wouldn't use but but that's because I would use cured live rock 1lb for every gallon minimum then use saltwater put into your tank and your tank will be ready in about a week or 2 which is the same as ATM colony nitrifying bacteria

beaslbob

jasonelmore12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/391491/i-just-saw-a-product-made-by-atm-the-company-from-the-show-tanked-on-animal-planet-its-called-atm-colony-anyone-try-it-yet#post_3477360
Hi,
I use the bacteria from Aquaripure. They sell a bottle for the filter, it's potent stuff, I dump it in a tank to get things started along with a chunk of shrimp or pure ammonia...
Nothing can really take the place of a good bacteria soaked sponge from the sump/tank to get a hospital or quarantine tank started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonelmore12
http:///t/391491/i-just-saw-a-product-made-by-atm-the-company-from-the-show-tanked-on-animal-planet-its-called-atm-colony-anyone-try-it-yet#post_3477356
Hi and welcome to the site....the bacteria still needs something to feed on to multiply. Bacteria only grows proportionate to the bioload, that's why we can only add a few fish at once. It gives the bacteria time to adjust and multiply according to how much waste the new critter adds. So the WAIT is to let the bacteria colonies grow and attach to the rock and sand (and anything else they can cling to) so that when you put the critter into the tank there is enough good guys to eat up the waste, so the critter isn't swimming in it's own ammonia.
The bottles instructions say add a little at a time because if there is not enough ammonia for the colony to feed on they die off and that means you wasted the product. A chunk of raw shrimp or pure ammonia takes care of that delay and provides plenty of waste for them to feed on.
Ehhh its kind of like that. There is no reason to have a multiple dose regimine for nitrifying bacteria. Its just not done that way in the field, but then again products that suggest that aren't used in the field either. I work with bugs in waste water and aquaculture (have for years).
There's no point in even putting nitrifying bacteria in if you are going to pretend like you still can't put fish in. They have to be there to create a consistent ammonia stream. Where that stream is is where they will settle comfortably. In an aquarium they will go to carbon first where all the water flows (they know). They won't just spread out and get in the gravel and sand. Sand is the worst place for them because it is compacted and only provides an aerobic environment on the very tip of the surface. They can't function in an anaerobic environment. So, sand is out. They won't be in mud. You'll find heterotroph bacteria there in abundance, not as much autotroph. This is why bio balls, coral skeletons, and carbon make the best media because they are porous and open with good rough surface area (unlike sand).
In closing, it takes about two weeks for nitrifying bacteria to lose their power from starvation. So, in that two weeks is more than ample time to establish ammonia flow, attachment, and conversion with the first dose of bacteria.
It really is much easier than everyone tries to make it.

phixer

I've never considered ATM to be craftsman concerned with producing a quality tank or providing good animal husbandry practices. Most of what they do seems to be for glamor and money rather than quality.
After inspecting some of their tanks in person I wasnt impressed with how much they charged in relation to the quality of tank, in particular how thin the material was. They've made their millions so it probably dosent matter.

jay0705

I agree. Every time I see that show I think what idiots. People watch it and think wow I can just toss a hundred fish rt in my tank np!!! You can't!!!!!!!!!

fst4wrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixer http:///t/391491/i-just-saw-a-product-made-by-atm-the-company-from-the-show-tanked-on-animal-planet-its-called-atm-colony-anyone-try-it-yet#post_3524991
I've never considered ATM to be craftsman concerned with producing a quality tank or providing good animal husbandry practices. Most of what they do seems to be for glamor and money rather than quality.
After inspecting some of their tanks in person I wasnt impressed with how much they charged in relation to the quality of tank, in particular how thin the material was. They've made their millions so it probably dosent matter.
So,so,so true. They landed a TV spot and made it big. Over priced with little quality. They get fish from a not so good source, double the price, and your stuck with sick or dead fish. As for the show it is 100% staged. The tanks made for the show are mostly just for the show. The Bubble gum machine, Phonebooth, and 702 motoring car tank are all back at the new ATM on display. The profit maker for them is anything and everything that has the name ATM on it. They have unhappy employees that result in unhappy craftsmanship. Dont trust the meds or any other product they have. I trust ***** product more then ATM.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslbob http:///t/391491/i-just-saw-a-product-made-by-atm-the-company-from-the-show-tanked-on-animal-planet-its-called-atm-colony-anyone-try-it-yet#post_3480977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///t/391491/i-just-saw-a-product-made-by-atm-the-company-from-the-show-tanked-on-animal-planet-its-called-atm-colony-anyone-try-it-yet#post_3479852
I'm confused...I thought I couldn't add macroalgae until the tank was cycled.
that is incorrect.
(at least to me anyway)
FWIW I always start all my tanks fw and marine with plant life right from the start. (FW is live plants, salt macro algaes).
then do the rest.
my .02
How do you keep them alive in a newly set up system?

grant778

It seems to me that as companies get larger their quality goes down. Though I have to admit I love watching Tanked on Fridays :p