I keep losing my siphon

saltyclown

I have 2 1" siphon tubes to feed the wet dry I have underneath the tank and I keep losing the siphon out of 1 of my tubes? Any clue what I am doing wrong??

johnnysalt

SaltyClown,
Are you talking about the 2 overflow tubes that are at the top of your tank to siphon water to your wet/dry? If so, I keep mine siphoned with a piece of airline stuck in overflow box....in your case, connect airline from a nearby powerhead's venturi valve to inside your problem tube! Maybe this pic will clear up my "mud"

When power goes out, then comes back on, the powerhead will suck out the air from your tube=overflow will start and keep your return pump from burning up! VOILA! :cool:
[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: JohnnySalt ]

templar

Is there any kind of trick to doing this, my powerhead will only suck air out of the overflow when theres a lot of air in it. But not when theres a little air in it, kind of annoying because it lowers the overflows speed...

mal

Johnny,
That is a great idea! My overflow siphon has quit x 2 on me in the past and made for some wet floors. I've been keeping up with it since then, but I never thought of hooking the airline to a powerhead. I'm gonna do that this morning when I get off work. :D
Templar,
You may try making the airline tube from the overflow to the ph longer or shorter, this will make your ph try harder or less by pulling the air/water through more or less tubing, and should compensate for the slowing of the overflow. Similar in return pumps, the longer your return hose, the harder your pump works to get it through. This sounds good in theory anyway.
[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: mal ]

botp2k1

Usually when you have the U tubes set up right and you lose siphon, it means the flow is too slow.

mal

UPDATE
Johnny,
I hooked my siphon to my ph like you suggested, then cut the power strip to my skimmer and return pump. Then started them back up after all the water drained into my sump and below my surface skimmer. It worked like a dream when everything re-started! No more worries of overflows! For that reason anyway. :D

ironreef

fwiw I only use internal overflow. But I use to use hangons. even with a powerhead. They can both fail.= powerhead 9maxijet)can fail happended to me. If I were to use a hangon overflow I would use a lifereef. They always restard due to the design. Not like cpr or other u tubes JME