I know it's been asked before, but...

rob1116

...should I install a UV filtering peice of glass under my new 175w Ushio 10k bulb? I've read several opinions stating the built in UV protection on Mogul based bulbs is enough... and thus built my canopy without incorporating one.
Now that I recieve the equipment, both the ballast (PFO) and the bulb data sheets insist that I install one.
If I wanted to install it just to be safe, what kind of material constitutes a good UV filter? Cheap glass, tempered...
I have some spare 1/4" acrylic kicking around... would that act as a decent UV filter, and would it stand up to the heat?
BTW- This bulb, along with two 75w VHO actinics, will be installed shortly on my 40g reef! mmm... bright

robchuck

Don't worry about it. Any MH setup I've had has been mogul-based and run without a UV filter. The outer sleeve on mogul-based bulbs is enough to filter out the UV. In fact, I used to run 175W Ushio 10,000K bulbs without UV filtration and had no problems.

rob1116

I didn't think so, and I'm not so much worried about the UV from this bulb as I am about it shattering from a splash. Nevermind the danger aspect of it shattering... the bulb itself was $110!
Anyway, if I did make a quick lens just to block it from splashing, would acrylic be okay?

squidd

Acrylic will probably melt...unless you have a good disance for heat...
$110..??? Perhaps you paid too much...:yes:

rob1116

Actually that was a steal compared to the big-box franchise, (not-to-mention any names or point any elbows!) as I ordered it from a fantastic retailer out of province.
The price is in Canadian dollars.
You really think it would melt ?
I know it's MH, but I've seen several pre-built lighting systems with what I thought was standard acrylic. I could be way off though.

squidd

Originally posted by rob1116
...The price is in Canadian dollars...

OHH...:thinking: So it was only about $35 -$40 "Real" dollars...:D
J/K... Love Canada..please don't attack us...

Hey...we're almost neighbors...

badkharma

Originally posted by Squidd
OHH...:thinking: So it was only about $35 -$40 "Real" dollars...:D
J/K... Love Canada..please don't attack us...

Hey...we're almost neighbors...

And if you have been following currency rates, you'd find that the canadian dollar is getting closer to being 1/1 with the US dollar. I believe it's just over .77 US for 1 CAD. Just 3 years ago, it was .62 US for 1 CAD. So he paid ~$84.70 US.
"Please don't attack us"

rob1116

Please don't attack us
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
We must defend ourselves!...
"Charge!"

... no? Ah screw it then, maybe later. Throw me a beer would'ya?

newty

you guys ever seen the movie "Canadian Bacon?" John Candy starred in it and it was quite entertaining!
Molson beer is the best!