I like Ducks

I like ducks. I like to watch them in the park,look at pictures of them, etc. I have been thinking lately, are ducks good pets? If so,how to I take care of them? What kinds of duck make the best pets?

alix2.0

we have musgovies, but theyre not really pets. do you have a lot of land? you cant really keep them in the house...

alix2.0

depends what kind you get, and if you can keep them contained, like in a penned in area. musgovies get big and like to roam, but there are some smaller ducks that might be fine.
some things you need to consider are
-is it cool with your parents?
-is it cool with your neighbors?
-you will have to buy food for them.
-their safety (cats, dogs, foxes, raccoons, cars, etc.)
-they poop A LOT
-they need water (like a pond or kiddie pool)
-they arent very cuddly or social, you might not be able to hold them or anything.

keri

alix2.0;2541205 said:
-they poop A LOT
yes....yes they do
copious amounts....definately a lot of poo
but if you have a farm, then you could have ducks...otherwise I'd stick to watching them in the park
Mostly ducks are cute and funny in the beginning sand feathered poo makers when they grow up
What about quail? Still cute, less poop. check out button quail

coral keeper

I used to have musgovies too. I agree with everything alix2.0 said. I had a little kid pool for them and if you don't get them used to you while the ducks are babys, you'll never catch them. I have a few pictures of them, ill go find them and post some pictures in about 10-15 min.

coral keeper

Here are the pictures.

Here is a picture of my most favorite duck. Her name is Donald duck lol. Oh, and she is a mother of about 15-20 baby's. She had baby's like 4-5 times already. Each batch of baby's she had was like 15-20.

Here is a picture of that bunch.

Here is a picture of me holding one of the baby's I was making fun of LOL. I found a feather and put it on its head like an Indian LOL.

reefraff

If you have a pond you could raise a group of mallards from babies and release them once grown and they will hang. My brother lives in Wyoming and has like half a dozen he did that with but in his case he lets them run free in the spring summer but come fall they go in the coup with the chickens lest they do what birds do and fly south for the winter.
We had some mallards that hung with us growing up as long as we maintained a little pond for them. There was a good sized pond about a block from our house but as long as we fed them and kept up a pond they stayed. Duck eggs are good eatin so its worth going to the trouble of keeping them. While they doo doo the poo poo they also keep the bugs down so its a trade off.

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2541762
Here are the pictures.

Here is a picture of my most favorite duck. Her name is Donald duck lol. Oh, and she is a mother of about 15-20 baby's. She had baby's like 4-5 times already. Each batch of baby's she had was like 15-20.

Here is a picture of that bunch.

Here is a picture of me holding one of the baby's I was making fun of LOL. I found a feather and put it on its head like an Indian LOL.

i don't want to be a jerk, but if you have exercise equipment in your yard...you shouldn't be posting pics

granny

Uh, what does exercise equipment have to do with posting pics?? It never rains in southern Calif. , right?
I love the last shot inthe grass with the flowers around.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by TangWhispr
http:///forum/post/2541895
i don't want to be a jerk, but if you have exercise equipment in your yard...you shouldn't be posting pics
These pictures are like 1-1.5 years old. I don't have any exercise equipment in my yard anymore.

scotts

CK, Those are some pretty cool pictures!
I thought the one with the feathers in it's head was pretty funy. Then I realized you were holding the duck and I thought, Hey you are holding a duck, that's pretty cool!!!

keri

Hey! What's wrong with excercising outside?! It's not like she's got 7 or 8 rusted out '72 impalas out there lol
Great pics :) I like the (budgie?) feather mohawk.

matt b

Originally Posted by TangWhispr
http:///forum/post/2541895
No joke EVERY thread I have seen you in you are TRASHING someone. Do you want me to post a pic of my backyard? Theres like 100000000 dog toys and a hot tub that looks out of place

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2543000
No joke EVERY thread I have seen you in you are TRASHING someone. Do you want me to post a pic of my backyard? Theres like 100000000 dog toys and a hot tub that looks out of place

Start a thread, and post it...I will then mock you.