I lost 3 fish overnight - why??

eden

Wow I am in shock! I cleaned my tank, did a partial water change at noon. I left for the weekend and the next morning someone came into feed at 7am and 2 tangs and my butterfly were dead. :confused: My clowns and 2 coral banded shrimp are fine. What could have happened?? Water had cured for 5-7 days, my readings are Amonia and nitrates 0, PH is 8.3, salinity dropped from 1.022 to 1.020 (but I think that should be ok??), temp 78. I don't think there was a power failure. I did use a new celo sponge to wipe the glass. Rinsed it, first, but did not soak. Also, I am having a brown algae bloom at the moment and I put a big shell in a bleach solution to clean it. I rinsed it after with decholorniator. Is it possible the sponge had chemicals in or or the bleach stayed in the shell?? I am so devistated and really need to understand what I did wrong so I don't repeat it. Why the tangs and not the clowns?? Any insight appreciated, thanks!

cboyfan2020

FWIW id ont think it was bleach poisining because inverts are more sensitive than fish and I think they would have been the first to go.

entice59

maybe from stress? i personally wanted a yellow tang and a butterfly in my 55 but i knew it was too small for them. They both need ample swimming room.
im not sure, its just a theory

bang guy

Originally posted by eden
Is it possible the sponge had chemicals in

Absolutely! Most commercial cellulose sponges have an anti-bacterial additive.