I lost everything in my 150

jshepherd

yes totally different. I have 3 tanks with the large one being a 150. Have you done the math to see what size inverter you would need for full support with skimmers and all and heaters if it is in the cold months? I expect that you would need much more than a $40 12 to 120v inverter.
To just keep the main pump running yes I assume that would have worked. You would have to always check the battery and start the car to keep the battery from dying.

slackjawed

Originally Posted by jshepherd
http:///forum/post/2722223
yes totally different. I have 3 tanks with the large one being a 150. Have you done the math to see what size inverter you would need for full support with skimmers and all and heaters if it is in the cold months? I expect that you would need much more than a $40 12 to 120v inverter.
To just keep the main pump running yes I assume that would have worked. You would have to always check the battery and start the car to keep the battery from dying.
yea so better than nothin i have a 180 and it would handle it no prob, but i also have a genny!!! but a little converter would be better than dead fish!!!!!!!!

ironeagle2006

I you had read my first post you would have seen I had a Uninteruptable Power Supply rated for 30 hours that ran an emergancy airpump one of my pumps a Korilla 4 and my Biowheel 350 filter. However when power is out for 54 hours there is nothing even that could have done.

lrightmwrong

im so sorry for your loss :(
At least you have them on tape saying that, though. In Florida, they could CARE. We had to call the electric company the other day because a giant Oak is INCHES away from the power line (good ol' boondocks!) and because it's growing BETWEEN THE LINES and not actually TOUCHING THEM, they wouldn't do crap.
If I called with an outage and explained that I have livestock that needs to survive, they WOULD NOT care... they wouldn't even OFFER to replace them.

ironeagle2006

When I do get mved and everything I will do a new thread showing me getting this tank back up and RUNNING again. What sucks the big one right now is everyday I look at my tank empty and know I have to wait to get it running again.

ironeagle2006

Mailed the claim in Saturday and now waiting to hear back fromt he power company. Should be interesting since I documented Everything I lost plus Cost had back up docs on when I bought them and also costs to replace them including Shipping. total losses were almost 3 grand including Shipping.

jonp

You live in a suburb of Chicago right? It makes sense for them to restore power to a MAJOR city first before restoring power to a suburb. I agree with srfisher17. IF you even get the money back (and you're saying alot of others are going to be in on it too), expect more of an increase in your bill to cover 'loss damages.'

ironeagle2006

Nope I live in one of the towns that supplys 50% of the people that operate one of their Teakettles AKA a pair of 300MW Nuclear Reactors and we are normally DOWNWIND of them. Think about it when my town lost power they also lost the ablility to warn the town if there was a problem with the reactors yet they chose to ignore that little issue. That is why the ICC IEMA and everyone here in teh town wants Comed and Excelons CEO's Nuts over the Fire right now.

jonp

Doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't they have a backup for something like that, especially being a nuclear reactor?

mantisman51

There is no chance, whatsoever, that you will get any compensation from the utility company. All utilities are protected from lawsuits over loss due to "acts of God". You may find a scheister who will take a grand and promise the world, but you will lose. Regardless of what a pee-on told you on the phone. The utility companies would go bankrupt from 1 severe storm if they were not protected. Don't believe me. Flush a grand or more down an attorney sewer. I know from personal experience, an act of God causing the loss of power gives them complete immunity from litigation. Sorry about your loss, but put the retainer money you save back into the tank, not the sewer.

ironeagle2006

Update called my buddy a manager at the local plant when we took the hit our Sub did not explode. When it BLEW THE HELL UP WAS WHEN THEY TRIED TO PUT IT BACK ONLINE turns out one of the lineman in his hurry reverse wired one of the transformers and that is what ultimately caused the substation to explode not the lightnig strike. So what can they do there the breakers did their job the lightning hit a line 400 feet away and the surge tripped the breakers at the transformer into the substation however they rewired it backwards that night and when they closed it 4400 volts backflowed and jumped up to 44K and BOOM.
It should of dropped to 440 not the other way. Helps I have a friend that is the head man at the local plant and he will tell me about anything for some of my homemade cinaminmom rolls.

ironeagle2006

Called and was able to talk to one of their claims adjusters today. Got lucky he has a 180 reef himself and was like I know what it costs to replace stuff and since it was OUR FAULT that the sub station blew to hell we have to pay for it.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/2728091
It should of dropped to 440 not the other way. Helps I have a friend that is the head man at the local plant and he will tell me about anything for some of my homemade cinaminmom rolls.
lol, guys are simple, feed em and they'll do anything....

http:///forum/post/2730138
Called and was able to talk to one of their claims adjusters today. Got lucky he has a 180 reef himself and was like I know what it costs to replace stuff and since it was OUR FAULT that the sub station blew to hell we have to pay for it.
Sweet, you got really lucky. You should have fun restocking this stuff!!! Especially with another reefer in your corner doing the adjusting

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/2730299
He was like I am glad could have been worse if you were a reefer this claim could have been 10 grand or more.
Glad to hear it! Surprised too, I was dead wrong on my 1st opinion. (Admitting that didn't hurt as much as I expected.)