I lost my puffer (help)

j carter

Some time last night my black dog face puffer jumped out of the rear of my 38 gal cure tank he was 6 1/2 inches long the only gap behind the tank was 3 1/2 inhes next to the emp 400 has any body had this problem? This was my favorite fish I had him for a year he was 2 1/2 inch when I got him

If I deside to get another one where would I find a black dog face thank you Jason Carter carterracing@netzero.net

tony detroit

Originally posted by J Carter
Some time last night my black dog face puffer jumped out of the rear of my 38 gal cure tank he was 6 1/2 inches long

Well, I'm no marine biologist but I think he was slightly cramped.
If you go to home depot you can buy eggcrate in the lighting dept. and cut it to fit the top of your tank. That's what I use on my shark tank to keep my smoothound from jumping out. Fish will jump through the smallest holes, you have to cover everything.

j carter

I have a 100 glas this tank this was a 38 gal qure tank he was in there for a very little time spand. Thank you for the info It seems some people respond to others more on this baord than othres everybody has to start from the begining sometime thank you for your reply.

cincyreefer

Yes, it is very common for fish to jump out of tank... that is normally a sign that the fish was stressed for some reason. Normally either tank size or aggression. In your case it was probably tank size, but you were quaranting the fish which was great.... not enough people do it. Just make sure the tank is fully covered next time with rocks or something heavy to keep the cover down.
Oh, and if you are wanting a black dog face which I am assuming you mean a midnight puffer... Let me know if you can find one! I have been looking for AWHILE. :)

squidd

Midnight Arothron ? Black Dog faced ?
They had on at the Milwaukee LFS I was at...about 6", shiny black, looked sharp...