I love Guam

jlem

Well I am currently spending a few weeks on the Island of Guam and I am loving it. I get to snorkel everyday and the hard coral and the fish are amazing. I took a hot dog out yesterday and the fish were so thick that I could barely see my hand. I saw tomato clowns and three striped damsels the size of oranges. There were schools of nasos and picasso triggers. The fish were trully amazing. I took some picrures but will not be able to post them until mid January. There were valleys that ran through the coral. The coral walls that were about four feet deep that are a blast to swim through. Schools of baby Barracuds swim all around you. The coolest thing was the schools of black tangs. I have yett to see a yellow tang but a buddy of mine saw some. Just thought I would share my exitement. I got three more weeks of this to:D

jlem

The tomato clowns where hosting in a carpet anename that was about 3 feet long and two feet wide. The anename was on top of a huge rock the size of a large car and sunk into the rock with the contours. There was hard coral all around the anename. I would get my hand close and the tomatoes would try and bite my hand. There were lots of sponges and lots of butterfly fish . I saw some beutifull moorish idols. There were schools of litterily thousands of chromis that would circle me and swim around me. On my way back to shore yesterday this large picasso trigger swam next to me for a good 75 yards until he turned and swam another direction. There were blach urchins with bright purple bodies that were the size of beach balls. I can't wait to post the pictures in a couple months.

jlem

I have been into marine aquariums about four years now and this is just awesome. I was wired for the whole day after my first adventure out into the lagoon. I don't go to work until the afternoon so I plan on checking out the reef everyday. I have been in the water 3 of 5 days so far. Today had pretty bad weather. The area that we snorkel is about 1.5 miles wide and .5 miles from shore to the kill zone where you do not want to be unless you have a death by coral bashing wish. I would say that at least three quarters of the lagoon is covered by hard coral and about half of that is deep enough under the surface to snorkel right over.

dpdiver

Well I hope you enjoy your self. I was a dive instructor out there about a year ago before the big typhoon. If you get a chance to to the blue hole. or sharks pit. alot of interesting things to see.
Enjoy your self.
Since you are there why not jump over to Truck or Yap. Or better yet Palau! Great diving there
Milt

T

thomas712

So does it make you want a bigger tank or better lighting? or just plain move to Guam?
And who's taking care of your tank? Now is the time for me to sneak over there and put another 4 inches of sand down for ya :p
Thomas

jlem

Wife is taking care of my tank. She sent me some recent picts and the tank is doing great. This place is humid and to much rain. I have no complaints about three weeks of sand and sun though. I do want a bigger tank but the current tank will have to do for now. I do plan on replacing the 5 ft 10K VHO's with 6 Ft 10K VHO's and the 3 Ft Actinic VHO's with 6 ft ones. Or I may splurg and get 250 MH's. I am really bringing in the dough on this deployment so I will have plenty to spend.
Thomas. If you put in more sand put in at least a foot so I don't have to add in any more after I find you, drown you and bury you in my sand bed :D ;)

scottnj

Jlem, are you on base, or just visiting? Wondering what sights there your checking out. I used to live in Tokyo and have been to Guam a few times, always enjoyed it.
If your on the Navy base, try and check out Gab Gab, a really nice reef system.
And if you got 3 more weeks, go by and see my old friends at MDA Guam across from the Piti Bomb Holes and get yourself dive certified. Snorkeling is great, but getting down to some of those outter reefs is awsome.
-Scott

phil1964

I heard Guam does not change time for daylight savings.
Just like the black hole of Indiana!
We want to see pics!

kinkfish

At my work place their was this strange lady who told me that she was stationed in guam with her parents. And that one week Jim Morrison was their and they went out on a boat in the moonlight and the corals or some type of algea lets off this sparkling light in the water. That is were he made the song crystal ship and she said it was about her. I dont know if she was making this up because I told her I am a huge doors fan.just thought I would share!!!

scottnj

Kinkfish,
Interesting story, Guam does have Bioilluminescent waters though. Someone else might know more about how what why, but I believe its microscopic critters in the water that when disturbed give off a greenish glow. Pretty cool while scuba diving at night, turn off the lights and wave your hands and it will glow everywhere. Similarly you can see the glow in the wake of a boat at night, etc.
Man I am getting Guam sick....
Thomas mentioned before about 'did you just want to move there' and its been in my mind ever since I first visited. Some better scuba diving in Palau and Fiji, but Guam has a great mix of Asia and America and is so close to so many great places....
-Scott

jlem

I am on dept out of Japan. I am certified and hopefully will get out to GAB GAB and do some diving. I am at Anderson right now and staying down on the strip so It is easy to just walk out the hotel and jump into the water.