i made an article.

trigger40

i just got finished with my humu trigger article ive been working on. ill go through and check for mistakes tomaro but what do yall think?

All about the humu trigger
Introduction:

The Humuhumunukunukuapua or “humu triggerfish” is one of the most interesting fish in this hobby. Befor we get started I have something to say about the humu trigger and its close cousins, the bursa triggerfish and the Picasso/triangular trigger. All three of these fish are basically the same the same fish. they just got different paint jobs(slightly different coloration). That being said all the information about the humu trigger can be used on the bursa and Picasso trigger(triangular trigger). Any way the humu trigger is one of the best saltwater fish to keep and this article will help you under stand how to care for your trigger and how to enjoy your fascinating humu triggerfish. All the information in this article has been collected through experience and talking on forums.

Basic facts:

The Humuhumunukunukuapua(Rinecanthus assasi) or humu triggerfish is mainly known as being from the costal reefs of Hawaii. While this is true the humu trigger can be found from East Africa throughout the Indo-Pacific region to Japan and finally Hawaii. The humu trigger’s main diet consists of mainly invertebrates, such as snails, crabs, and shrimp. The humu trigger has feeding adaptation that no other trigger naturally has. That being that humu triggers hunt down and prey on small fish and squid. No other trigger will do this in nature. However all domesticated triggerfish will eat fish if given a chance. The humu trigger is one of the slowest growing fish you can buy. As a juvenile (1’’- 5”) the humu trigger grows about 1’’ every two years if properly fed. And once the triggerfish reaches 5’’ the growth rate slows down even more. 5’’ is considered to be adult size. In nature the humu trigger really has no predators as adults. Adult humu triggers are known to attack divers and sharks to protect breeding grounds.

Quick description:

Patterned like an abstract painting, the humu trigger has yellow markings along the sides of its face, suggesting that the jaws can open wide. In reality, however, the mouth is small, as in other triggerfish. The humu trigger’s pelvic fins are reduced to a small projection under the body, and of coarse the erect dorsal fin. Hence the name, triggerfish.

What is it about this fish? :

A large number of people brought into this hobby is because their fascination for trigger fish in general. And I can’t blame them because Im included in that group. The triggerfish is one of the most advanced if not the most advanced fish in the sea. They look like deadly blimps hovering around the reef looking for a crab or a small fish to eat. Not only that but unlike other reef fish that just dart around the aquarium aimlessly, when a triggerfish moves it moves with a purpose. And a trigger seems to always be doing something. Weather it be moving hermit crabs around or hunting on your live rock they are always doing something for you to watch. The humu trigger is one of the most popular fish triggers for a reason. The reason is because they don’t need a monster tank! So to get all of what I just described you don’t need a 180gallon tank. But ill get to proper tank size next. The humu trigger is also one of the more color full triggers and is a great conversation piece and centerpiece fish.

What size tank for your triggerfish:

For tank size I am just going to go ahead say that a 75gallon tank is the minimum for a full grown humu trigger. But there are exceptions on tank size for the humu trigger. If you buy a 1’’ humu trigger you can keep it for its entire life in a 60gallon tank. Why? Because humu triggers grow so slow that if you buy a juvenile humu trigger it is just unrealistic that the triggerfish will make it to its full grown size because, that would take over 15 years to make it to that size. And sadly most aquarium fish don’t live that long and its not easily done. But not impossible, if you can provide a stable aquarium where your trigger can live in peace for the time it needs to grow it can be done. But that would require great equipment quality and a generator incase of a power outage. But if you want to keep multiple fish with an adult humu trigger I would recommend a 90gallon or more, but remember, the bigger the better.

Feeding and health:

Feeding a juvenile humu triggerfish: If your humu trigger is below 5” this is the most important part for success if you want a humu trigger. The thing you must relies is that proper feeding means good health for your humu trigger. Improper feeding can cause your humu trigger to become malnourished. And this can happen very easily with juvenile humu triggers. So ultimately the trigger will perish because of this. Now to properly feed a juvenile humu triggerfish you must feed a lot with good variety. What I feed my 3” humu trigger mysis shrimp every day with squid or silversides. I also feed freeze dried shrimp every day to wear down their teeth. This is very important for your trigger and other fish. Remember humu triggers are aggressive and if their teeth are dull they cant do to much damage. I also let my humu trigger nibble at a veggie clip every now and then so it can get the vitamins. Humu trigger will also appreciate a few ghost shrimp every now and then so that they can exercise their predatory nature.

The one way I know its time to feed my humu trigger is when its belly looks pinched. If the belly looks like this, feed ASAP! This is very unhealthy for a juvenile humu trigger. Juvenile humu triggers have very fast metabolism and slightly under feeding, in time, can cause serious health problems. They won’t be very disease resistant and will become skinny and sluggish and very vulnerable to infection. And death will eventually come. If your humu trigger gets to this point where it becomes malnourished and sick, it is very hard to bring your humu trigger back to health. And to do so you will need a stable quarantine or hospital tank. First you must put your humu trigger in the qt. acclimate slowly when a humu trigger is malnourished, at this point your trigger is very delicate and weak. I would also keep macroalgae in your quarantine during this period to help with water quality. So as soon as your trigger has explored the quarantine tank offer a little food once its all eaten offer more and more until the humu trigger will no longer eat what you are offering. Then wait an hour and repeat. I would start out feding with something easy for your trigger to eat like mysis shrimp. I would also throw in some squid and silversides. But I understand most of us cant stay home all day and feed your fish. So what you do is clip a whole silverside to a veggie clip. You can adjust the amount you leave every day based on how much your triggerfish eats. This way you trigger always has something to eat. It will take a few weeks for your humu trigger to recover from malnutrition so keep water ready for a water change. And remember the best treatment is prevention!

Feeding an adult humu trigger: Feeding an adult humu trigger is pretty simple. Remember an adult humu trigger is above 5”. So only feed this way if your humu trigger is an adult. Feeding an adult humu trigger is quite simple. Give the trigger a good variety live you would a juvenile humu trigger. So give the trigger atleast three different types of meaty frozen food. I use mysis shrimp, squid, and silversides. I would vary what you feed day by day, but should get at least two of those every day. You should also feed your trigger freeze dried shrimp to help with their teeth. You should only do that every other day. One thing the adult huu trigger can do that the juvenile cant is go a few days with out food every once and a while but NOT too often. But when every you do haft to leave for a few days use an automatic feeder just so that your adult or juvenile can get food while you are away. However when it becomes that time of day where you feed your fish(witch should be every day) just give your adult humu trigger its fill so that it is happy and healthy.

How to choose a trigger and importance of using a quarantine:

How to chose a trigger from the store: When you go to your local fish store to pick out your new humu trigger there are three things you should be looking for 1) the humu trigger should be thick and have meat in its bones. You should see no indentations where muscle should be. So no skinny triggers! 2) The humu trigger should be active swimming around the tank interacting with other fish in the tank. The humu trigger should also be happy to see you. And by happy to see you I mean begging for food. 3) The humu trigger should have no parasites on it, Simple as that. And ask the clerk to feed the triggerfish you chose just to be sure it is eating.

The importance of using a quarantine tank: The humu trigger is very disease resistant but can still bring unwanted parasites into your aquarium. Not only that but when a triggerfish gets ich it loses its apatite. And you already know what happens when a trigger doesn’t eat enough. So ich can have just as big of an impact on a humu trigger as it does on some of the more delicate fish. Keep you trigger in the quarantine tank for at least a month. So save your self the hassle and get a good quarantine tank.

Interacting with your trigger:

Your trigger can and will make a connection with you, involving food of coarse. Triggerfish have the ability to figure things out. So over time after being fed a lot your humu trigger will recognize you as its food source. And triggerfish will actually find comfort in having their food source around. So why not use this to your advantage. My humu trigger will come to my hand as soon as I put it in the water. He likes to swim through my fingers in search for his meal or just hang out around my hand. And whenever I walk into the room, my humu trigger comes to life! My trigger will even greet me at the side of my tank. Unlike other reef fish that hide if someone walks past the tank. Many people’s humu triggers love a good belly rub or a scratch on the head. My humu trigger loves to be scratched in between its eyes but nowhere else. I have always guessed it’s just a personality thing, some people’s humu triggers will swim through hoops and do other tricks.

What fish can go with my trigger?:

When choosing a tank mate for your humu trigger you are going to want to stay away from two types of fish. Fish that are peaceful, and fish that are overly aggressive. So you want a fish that will stand up for its self but wont go looking for a fight. However not all triggers are the same so if you have an aggressive trigger I would go with other triggers, large angels, eels, grouper, and more aggressive tangs. If you have a peaceful trigger you are in luck. Just about any fish will be ok with your humu trigger. But most of us end up with the trigger that is bold and territorial. If you do I have a few suggestions of fish family’s you should look into. Dwarf angels, large angels, any tang, rabbit fish, clown fish, wrasses, damsels, puffers, dottybacks, and grouper. Those are just a few ideas but there are plenty more to choose from.

Reef compatibility:

Humu triggerfish can be kept in a reef tank. But they do limit you on what type of reef critters you can keep. SPS and LPS are not safe with a humu trigger. Just about the only corals I would keep with a humu trigger are soft corals. For whatever reason humu triggers leave soft corals alone. You “can” keep SPS and LPS with a humu trigger but it is very risky. Some humu triggers will leave SPS and LPS alone but some wont so it is up to the hobbyist to take that chance. Hermit crabs, turbo snails, and starfish are humu trigger safe. Crabs and shrimps are trigger safe 1 out of 5 times so your crabs and shrimp are at a huge risk of being eaten. So soft corals is a good choice if you want to keep a reef tank.

(keeping macroalgae or having a great skimmer is a must if you plan to keep a trigger in a reef because they eat a lot)

Water parameters:

Humu triggers prefer water parameters to be around:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm to 80ppm

Temperature: 76 to 79 degrees Fahrenheit

Salinity: 30 to 35 ppt (1.022 to 1.026 specific gravity)

PH: 8.0 to 8.2

Cunclusion:

Humu triggerfish are great fish to keep and are more like underwater dogs. They can be great easy to take of community fish if given the proper care. They are beautiful, interactive, eating machines that will bring life to your tank that will last for years. But they need great filtration, a proper size tank, and a lot of food, to be happy and healthy. Have fun with your humu triggerfish!

IMG_5421.jpg

Last edited:

flower

Okay...LOL...you asked for help, so please don't get mad at me. You have plenty of info in there...good job! You might want to change it a little for an easier read....In the same paragraph you don't have to keep saying Humu trigger, once you know the subject you don't have to keep repeating it.

For example, you wrote:
How to chose a trigger from the store: When you go to your local fish store to pick out your new humu trigger there are three things you should be looking for 1) the humu trigger should be thick and have meat in its bones. You should see no indentations where muscle should be. So no skinny triggers! 2) The humu trigger should be active swimming around the tank interacting with other fish in the tank. The humu trigger should also be happy to see you. And by happy to see you I mean begging for food. 3) The humu trigger should have no parasites on it, Simple as that. And ask the clerk to feed the triggerfish you chose just to be sure it is eating.

How I would change that paragraph for an easier read.
How to choose a Humu trigger from the store:
When you go to your local fish store there are three things to look for.
1) The body should be thick with meat on it's bones, you should see no indentations where muscle should be. No skinny triggers!
2) The fish should be active, swimming around the tank interacting with the other fish. (notice I also eliminated the repeat of the word tank)
3)You should see no parasites, simple as that.

Ask the clerk to feed the fish while you watch, so you can be sure it's eating.

snakeblitz33

I would also spell check and check for proper punctuation. As flower said, once the subject is understood, it's implied.

Great job at the rough draft though. Keep working on it!

trigger40

lol the humu trigger thing is annoying. is there any other paragraphs that need to be more organized? i plan to go back and fix mistakes with spell check Wednesday or later today. thank you guys for helping!

trigger40

yea your right, i think im going to move it over to a word document and work on it from there.

trigger40

do you guys think making the font size bigger would make reading easier? or should i double space or leave a blank line between each line?

snakeblitz33

I would indent and break into paragraphs, but I would not double space. When making lists, I might bullet point or number. I would avoid repeating myself more than once.

Trigger, do you mind if I ask how old are you?

snakeblitz33

You know, I'm really proud of you for taking the initiative to improve the forum and bring information to the site. Keep up the good work. You will do well in life.

trigger40

do you think i should make the font bigger or leave it? i already have it a little bigger but i dont know. im gona go through it a few more times and hopefuly it is done by tomorrow.

snakeblitz33

Maybe make the titles s little larger. But remember, font size doesn't make an article great, it's the content and ease of reading that does.

flower

Ditto on being proud of you!

I agree with Snakes advice, I wrote my article on Microsoft word before I copied pasted it back on the site to publish. The font is fine, and the bolded titles work. I would use bullet points or numbers for any lists, not be double spaced. I think you did a great job, you are not being graded... Just make it easy to read.

Last edited:

trigger40

so far I have broken down all the content into a couple sentence paragraphs that are indented. I think it allows every thing to be broken down and it isn't as much on the eyes as the big paragraphs. ill post it later today and hopefully it is ready.

trigger40

hopefully spell check didn't fail me! this is what i got now

All about the humu trigger
Introduction:

The Humuhumunukunukuapua or “humu triggerfish” is one of the most interesting fish in this hobby. Befor we get started I have something to say about this trigger and its close cousins, the bursa triggerfish and the Picasso/triangular trigger. All three of these fish are basically the same the same fish. The only difference is a different paint job(coloration). That being said all the information about the humu trigger can be used on the bursa and Picasso trigger (triangular trigger). Any way triggers are one of the best saltwater fish to keep and this article will help you under stand how to care for, and how to enjoy your fascinating triggerfish. All the information in this article has been collected through experience and forums.

Basic facts:

The Humuhumunukunukuapua(Rinecanthus assasi) or humu triggerfish is mainly known as being from the costal reefs of Hawaii. While this is true these triggers can be found from East Africa throughout the Indo-Pacific region to Japan and finally Hawaii. The trigger’s main diet consists of mainly invertebrates, such as snails, crabs, and shrimp. Humu triggers have a feeding adaptation that no other trigger naturally has. That being that these triggers hunt down and prey on small fish and squid. No other trigger will do this in nature. However all domesticated triggerfish will eat fish if given a chance.

This trigger is one of the slowest growing fish you can buy. As a juvenile (1’’- 5”) the trigger grows about 1’’ every two years if properly fed. And once the triggerfish reaches 5’’ the growth rate slows down even more. 5’’ is considered to be adult size. In nature, this trigger really has no predators as adults. Adult triggers are known to attack divers and sharks to protect breeding grounds.

Quick description:

Patterned like an abstract painting, the humu trigger has yellow markings along the sides of its face, suggesting that the jaws can open wide. In reality, however, the mouth is small, as in other triggerfish. The trigger’s pelvic fins are reduced to a small projection under the body, and of coarse the erect dorsal fin. Hence the name, triggerfish.

What is it about this fish? :

A large number of people brought into this hobby is because their fascination for trigger fish in general. And I can’t blame them because Im included in that group. The triggerfish is one of the most advanced if not the most advanced fish in the sea. They look like deadly blimps hovering around the reef looking for a crab or a small fish to eat. Not only that but unlike other reef fish that just dart around the aquarium aimlessly, when a triggerfish moves, it moves with a purpose.

And a trigger seems to always be doing something. Weather it be moving hermit crabs around or hunting on your live rock they are always doing something for you to watch. The humu trigger is one of the most popular triggers for a reason. The reason is because they don’t need a monster tank! So to get all of the triggery goodness I just described you don’t need a 180gallon tank. But ill get to proper tank size next. This trigger is also one of the more color full triggers and is a great conversation piece and centerpiece fish.

What size tank for your triggerfish:

For tank size I am just going to go ahead say that a 75gallon tank is the minimum for a full, grown, humu trigger. But there are exceptions on tank size for this trigger. If you buy a 1’’ trigger you can keep it for its entire life in a 60gallon tank. Why? Because these triggers grow so slow that if you buy a juvenile trigger it is just unrealistic that the triggerfish will make it to its full grown size because that would take over 15 years to make it to that size. And sadly most aquarium fish don’t live that long and its not easily done.

But its not impossible, if you can provide a stable aquarium where your trigger can live in peace for the time it needs to grow it can be done. But that would require good equipment quality and a generator incase of a power outage. But if you want to keep multiple fish with an adult trigger I would recommend a 90gallon or more, but remember, the bigger the better.

Feeding and health:

Feeding a juvenile humu triggerfish: If your humu trigger is below 5” this is the most important part for success if you want a trigger. One thing you must realize is that proper feeding means good health for your trigger. Improper feeding can cause your trigger to become malnourished. And this can happen very easily with juvenile triggers. Ultimately the trigger will perish because of malnourishment.

Now to properly feed a juvenile triggerfish you must feed a lot with a good variety. What I feed my 3” trigger? I feed:

1) Mysis shrimp

2) Squid

3) Silversides

4) Freeze dried shrimp every other day to wear down their teeth

5) Live ghost shrimp (don’t feed this too much)

#4 is very important for your trigger and other fish. Remember triggers are aggressive and if their teeth are dull they can’t do too much damage. I also let my trigger nibble at a veggie clip every now and then so it can get the vitamins. Triggers will also appreciate a few ghost shrimp every now and then so that they can exercise their predatory nature.

The one way I know its time to feed my trigger is when its belly looks pinched. If the belly looks like this, feed ASAP! This is very unhealthy for a juvenile trigger. Juvenile triggers have a very fast metabolism and if slightly under fed, in time, can cause serious health problems. They won’t be very disease resistant and will become skinny and sluggish and very vulnerable to infection. And death will eventually come. If your trigger gets to this point where it becomes malnourished and sick, it is very hard to bring your trigger back to health. And to do so you will need a stable quarantine or hospital tank.

First you must put your trigger in the qt. acclimate slowly, when a trigger is malnourished it is very delicate and weak. I would also keep macroalgae in your quarantine during this period to help with water quality. So as soon as your trigger has explored the quarantine tank offer a little food once its all eaten offer more and more until the trigger will no longer eat what you are offering. Then wait an hour and repeat.

I would start out feeding with something easy for your trigger to eat like mysis shrimp. I would also throw in some squid and silversides. I do understand that most of us can’t stay home all day and feed your fish. So what you do is clip a silverside to a veggie clip. You can adjust the amount you leave every day based on how much your triggerfish eats. This way you trigger always has something to eat. It will take a few weeks for your trigger to recover from malnutrition. So keep water ready for a water change. And remember the best treatment is prevention!

Feeding an adult humu trigger: Feeding an adult humu trigger is pretty simple. Remember an adult trigger is above 5”. So only feed this way if your trigger is an adult. Give the trigger a good variety like you would a juvenile trigger. So give the trigger at least three different types of meaty frozen food. I use:

1) Mysis shrimp

2) Squid

3) Silversides

4)Freeze dried shrimp every other day

5)live ghost shrimp (dont feed this too often)

I would vary what you feed day by day, but should get at least two of those every day. You should feed your trigger freeze dried shrimp to help with their teeth. You should only do that every other day. One thing the adult trigger can do that the juvenile trigger can’t is go a few days with out food. (every once and a while but NOT too often) But when every you do haft to leave for a few days use an automatic feeder just so that your adult or juvenile trigger can get food while you are away.

When ever it becomes that time of day where you feed your trigger (witch should be every day) just give your adult trigger its fill so that it is happy and healthy.

How to choose a trigger and importance of using a quarantine:

How to chose a trigger from the store: When you go to your local fish store to pick out your new humu trigger there are three things you should be looking for

1) The trigger should be thick and have meat in its bones. You should see no indentations where muscle should be. So no skinny triggers!

2) The trigger should be active, swimming around the tank, interacting with other fish in the tank. The trigger should also be happy to see you.

3) The trigger should have no parasites on it, Simple as that.

Ask the clerk to feed the triggerfish while you watch to be sure it’s eating.

The importance of using a quarantine tank: The humu trigger is very disease resistant but can still bring unwanted parasites into your aquarium. When a triggerfish gets ich it loses its apatite. You already know what happens when a trigger doesn’t eat enough. So ich can have just as big of an impact on a trigger as it does on some of the more delicate fish. Keep you trigger in the quarantine tank for at least a month. So save your self the hassle and get a good quarantine tank.

Interacting with your trigger:

Your trigger can and will make a connection with you, involving food of coarse. Triggerfish have the ability to figure things out. So over time after being fed a lot your humu trigger will recognize you as its food source. And triggerfish will actually find comfort in having their food source around. So why not use this to your advantage. My trigger will come to my hand as soon as I put it in the water. He likes to swim through my fingers in search for his meal or just hang out around my hand.

Whenever I walk into the room, my trigger comes to life! My trigger will even greet me at the side of my tank. Unlike other reef fish that hide if someone walks past the tank. Many people’s triggers love a good belly rub or a scratch on the head. My trigger loves to be scratched in between its eyes but nowhere else. I have always guessed it’s just a personality thing, some people’s triggers will swim through hoops and do other tricks!

What fish can go with my trigger?:

When choosing a tank mate for your humu trigger you are going to want to stay away from two types of fish. Fish that are peaceful, and fish that are overly aggressive. So you want a fish that will stand up for its self but wont go looking for a fight.

Not all triggers are the same so if you have an aggressive trigger I would go with other triggers, large angels, eels, grouper, and more aggressive tangs. If you have a peaceful trigger you are in luck. Just about any fish will be ok with your trigger.

But most of us end up with the trigger that is bold and territorial. If you do I have a few suggestions of fish family’s you should look into. Dwarf angels, large angels, any tang, rabbit fish, clown fish, wrasses, damsels, puffers, dottybacks, and grouper. Those are just a few ideas but there are plenty more to choose from.

Reef compatibility:

Humu triggerfish can be kept in a reef tank. But they do limit you on what type of reef critters you can keep. SPS and LPS are not safe with a trigger. Just about the only corals I would keep with a trigger are soft corals. For whatever reason triggers leave soft corals alone. You “can” keep SPS and LPS with a trigger but it is very risky. Some triggers will leave SPS and LPS alone but some wont so it is up to the hobbyist to take that chance.

Hermit crabs, turbo snails, and starfish are trigger safe. Crabs and shrimps are trigger safe 1 out of 5 times so your crabs and shrimp are at a huge risk of being eaten. So soft corals is a good choice of coral if you want to keep a reef tank.

(keeping macroalgae or having a great skimmer is a must if you plan to keep a trigger in a reef because of heavy bio load)

Water parameters:

Humu triggers prefer water parameters to be:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm to 80ppm

Temperature: 76 to 79 degrees Fahrenheit

Salinity: 30 to 35ppt (1.022 to 1.026 specific gravity)

PH: 8.0 to 8.2

Cunclusion:

Humu triggerfish are great fish to keep and are more like underwater dogs. They can be great easy to take of community fish if given the proper care. They are beautiful, interactive, eating machines that will bring life to your tank that will last for years. But they need great filtration, a proper size tank, and a lot of food, to be happy and healthy. Have fun with your triggerfish!

so tell me what yall think. does it need more work?

Last edited:

snakeblitz33

Yes. Needs a few more tweaks. There are spelling errors still. For example, before is misspelled. There are other misspellings as well.

Most articles are written without the use of the word "you" I would think. The overuse of the word "you" feels aggressive in your paragraphs, when you don't reLly know every single person reading the article. Capitalize the first letter of the word that starts a sentence. I would also avoid using the words "anyways" and "basically" in a paragraph that is talking about a specific subject.

I wouldn't start the first paragraph off with the scientific name first, I would list the common name first. If you are going to list the scientific name, I sugges including both the genus and the species. For writing a scientific name there are also small rules. For example, you capitalize the Genus name and don't capitalize the species name. For example: Caulerpa racemosa. (It should be italicized but my phone won't do that). Then once you have stated the genus name in the article, you abbreviate it. For example: C. racemosa.

So when you are talking about other three species, you could refer to them as (H. whatever).

Sorry if that's a lot of criticism for you to handle, trigger. I just want you to improve your writing some just in case you get a job that depends on it. I have eight years of college writing experience behind me and I'm telling you, your writing is better then most college freshman. So your doing great, just keep it up!

flower

Sweetie, post your article after you do your spell check... Then you can work on becoming a professor in literature. When you write or speak as the common person, you come off as somebody who can speak the kind of English the regular Joe's can understand. You won't look foolish, and nobody is going to care. If they read your article, it's because they want the information...as long as it's spelled correctly, it will be okay.