I might have a crab who hitchiked on my live rock, how can I get it to come out?

salt0727

I bought some live rock last week and just yesterday I saw what looked like a white crab come out of one of the crevices in the rock. I couldnt get a good look at it before it disappeared and I havent seen it since. My hubby thinks I imagined it, lol. Any ideas on how I can get it to come out so I can make sure its not a bad crab?

yannifish

You could try a pop bottle trap, I'm not sure if it works for crabs, but I know it has worked for many people with damsels.
You cut the top off a pop bottle, and insert it the othe way into the bottom, so that it forms a funnel. Critters can get in, but not out. You bait it with mysis, or something similar.
Others may have a better idea though.

tang4me

Originally Posted by salt0727
http:///forum/post/3287433
I bought some live rock last week and just yesterday I saw what looked like a white crab come out of one of the crevices in the rock. I couldnt get a good look at it before it disappeared and I havent seen it since. My hubby thinks I imagined it, lol. Any ideas on how I can get it to come out so I can make sure its not a bad crab?
Really no easy way to get it to come out. If it survives, just wait until it molts and check out the exoskeleton. Black tip claws are bad. I have the same situation in my tank, but I've never actually seen the crab. I just see it's exoskeleton after it molts. It's been in there for over a year.