I mixed CC & LS

treystang

I have read on this site that mixing the two is not recommended. But I could could get a definate supportable answer that stated the exact reason why they were/are not mixable.
After consulting with 3 LFS's that all use a mixture of CC & LS (and are primarily saltwater LFS's) I mixed 50/50. They all run a 50/50 mix in their stores they claim they never clean the coral... and they see no reason that the two cannot be mixed.
So against general consensus of this site I went with a mix. I will keep everyone updated on how it goes... Right now the tank is cycling, I have about 15 lbs of live rock and plan to add another 15lbs or so later this week. Plan to start adding a cleaning crew in the next month or so.
Thanks
Trey

chilidog

I d0ont see y its not good besides the fact that CC traps uneaten food in its crevases to decompose and make ur water suck.I have at least 10 LFS and none mix or even use CC in any of there tancs.

spline9

Mine is 50/50 CC/LS and I havent hand any problems. Although, I do plan on changing it in the future but only because I just want something that looks different.

T

tizzo

I have CC and I hate it because I don't simply do water changes... I gotta bust out the whole hoover cleaning facility. I don't simply syphon and replace. I gotta get in up to my shoulders and cover every square inch if the tank's floor. I really want sand and I thought about mixing the two, then I thought to myself..."self, wouldn't it be just as much maintenance as CC?" And with the answer that self gave me, I decided to wait til I can change over completely. So, with this in mind, go back to the LFS ask them what the disadvantages of CC are, then ask why a mixed substrate wouldn't have the same disadvantages. Least that's my opinion.:D

treystang

I will be sure to document, and document well, the disadvantages if I find any.
I really did it because I am hard headed and this site is the only place I have seen that recommends against it. But as I said I could not find any real argument to not do it..
and I think it looks great this way anyways.

cskyhawk

I want to provide a place for organisms to hide from star fish...
what do u all think? If I just make little areas of CC and areas of LS.
this would provided a feeding ground and not tottaly destroy my base.

treystang

Originally posted by cskyhawk
I want to provide a place for organisms to hide from star fish...
what do u all think? If I just make little areas of CC and areas of LS.
this would provided a feeding ground and not tottaly destroy my base.

I am too new to this to provide you advice. but I went with about 35 lbs of CC and 60lbs of LS. funny thing I through a couple of live rock in and there was a really really small crab that dug into the sand, so maybe I will see him in one of the shells in a few months.. :confused:

badkharma

The problem with mixing CC and sand is this: they do not stay mixed. Eventually, your sand will be on the bottom, and your CC will be on the top. Then, you'll have the same problem as a CC bed: all the detritus will trap in the top layer and create nutrient problems. If you keep them mixed, you should be fine. If it's a shallow application, like 1-2", you should be fine. But anything past that will just create a CC layer on top of sand. You might as well just have CC with no sand.

treystang

Originally posted by Badkharma
The problem with mixing CC and sand is this: they do not stay mixed. Eventually, your sand will be on the bottom, and your CC will be on the top. Then, you'll have the same problem as a CC bed: all the detritus will trap in the top layer and create nutrient problems. If you keep them mixed, you should be fine. If it's a shallow application, like 1-2", you should be fine. But anything past that will just create a CC layer on top of sand. You might as well just have CC with no sand.

how long does it take before it moves to the top?? If it is a 2-3 or 6-12 month process I see bo problem with mixing it back up... If it becomes a 1-2 week thing, then I will make the switch to all sand. Right now everything is cool, I am enjoying this tank saltwater stuff is fun!!