i need 55g full set up

bubashrimp

hello im new to this hobby and am looking for a cheap set up. i want a 55g tank ready to go(so i dont have to buy every thing seperatly).also would like live rock and sand. i am willing to spend $300-$400

jsgreer1

sorry man but theres probably not much chance youg etting a 55gal complete setup for 300 or 400 dollars. i have a 26 gal setup and before the live rock i spent $450 then i had to have powerheads,protein skimmer,(optional),and live rock. so ive got probably $800 in this hobby in three months and thats no where near what some people have in it. not being mean just passing on some info. lots of 55gal setups go for sale on this site though keep looking maybe you'll find one in your price range.

nm reef

I'd say your chances of locating a complete set up for that price range are slim to none.
In addition.....this hobby is not normally "cheap" and attempts to cut cornors and expense is usually problematic.
You'd be far better off building your own system slowly as your budget allows than trying to locate a 'complete" package. After all I personally belive that the satisfaction from this hobby comes from "establishing" a system from the ground up and the best source of knowledgeand experience is to do it yourself.

criminal

Originally Posted by NM reef
I'd say your chances of locating a complete set up for that price range are slim to none.
In addition.....this hobby is not normally "cheap" and attempts to cut cornors and expense is usually problematic.
You'd be far better off building your own system slowly as your budget allows than trying to locate a 'complete" package. After all I personally belive that the satisfaction from this hobby comes from "establishing" a system from the ground up and the best source of knowledgeand experience is to do it yourself.

i agree fully! i started with just a 55 Gal. tank as a christmas present and i've added everything slowly as my budget allows and it makes looking at my tank so much more rewarding because i did it all from the bottom up! i still have a long way to go but i'll enjoy it every step of the way

hot883

I bought my 55 at wally world with 1 filter and cheap lights for $135 or so. Actually it was a fathers day present. I am moving everything into my new 125. I would not need the 55 anymore as I am using 2 tanks under my 125 for sumps/refugium.

bubashrimp

so how much u thinking about selling it for?
also i didnt mean every thing i just meant the things that would make it so i can have fish like skimmers and heaters and stuff..ill add the rock and sand by my self

jacknjill

ive got a 55 setup im looking to sell. ill give you the lights, sand, and rock. im in north carolina so you would have to come pick it up. dont know if you are interested or not, but im making a thread that ill give you a link to later on.

hot883

Originally Posted by bubashrimp
so how much u thinking about selling it for?
also i didnt mean every thing i just meant the things that would make it so i can have fish like skimmers and heaters and stuff..ill add the rock and sand by my self
It would be cheaper to find one closer then trying to ship mine; or as high prrices as gas is driving. I guess I didn't see you were in Minn. But I do have 2 400 size filters that take the charcoal pad and each has a bio pad too. I have the one heater that I am using in it currently. I also am using 3 power heads for circulation. If you think you still might be interested then email me. bcool831@pldi.net

threed240

You may wanna check out craigslist.org. They have the option to search cities around were you live for wanted/for sale items. I found a 55gal set up that I am going to pick up tomorrow for $100. Tank(no scratches), stand, skimmer, misc. filters, lights(I think there the factory set though), and a bunch of crap for freshwater setup's that I don't need. But hey its a good price.

fuppets

I'm near Chicago and have a 55 for sale. Tank, stand, glass tops, light, heater and emperor 400 HOB filter $200. Might consider meeting you partway for some gas money.

tiluhill

I'm in St. Louis and have a 55 gallon setup with stand ($350 new), Prism skimmer ($129 new), Filstar XP2 canister filter ($139 new), 4' JBJ Formosa 260 watt power compact lights ($269 new) with flip top legs ($30 new) and 20 lbs of live sand that I am selling for $400. I would be willing to meet you in northern MO or southern Iowa but I would have to get another $100 for the drive. It is a great setup taken good care of.