I need a better refugium light.

jrse7en

I have a standard incandescant hood over my 10g refugium and it does not support macro algae. Does anyone have any reccomendation for a specific light on the market that will work extremely well on my 10g. My goal is to breed more copepods and lower nitrates. Thanks!

yearofthenick

The Rio Mini Sun seems to be regularly used around here. It's about $20 and they're LED's so they'll never burn out.

jrse7en

I don't think that rio will work. I have an Azoo LED light like that but much larger and it killed my chaeto. I finally got teh flow situation worked out in the fige but the lighting is way too weak. I was looking for something more along the lines of a small VHO. Something small but extremely bright where plants will thrive.

chrisnif

The W-mart store sells an aquarium bulb that is about 6500k 10 watt that is designed to go in those hoods, should be fine for algae, i think they run about 5-6 bux. Otherwise you could put one of the coralife 50/50 screw in compact fluorescent bulbs in but those are like $20 and i think the 10 gal takes 2 bulbs, so thats more than I'd want to spend to light a fuge ;)
The mart bulbs are in the fish section, even if your store doesnt have live fish they should have the bulb...its a straight tube instead of coiled so it fits the hood well.

bimm3rb0y

i too have the bulb from wal-mart. i bought a clip on lamp and bought a 10 watt 6500k light bulb and it supports my chaeto just fine. i spent $20 on it.