i need a new cell phone

deejeff442

well my 4 yr old flip phone finally went yesterday.i need to get a new phone.good thing is my contract is out with zerison so they will upgrade cheap for a new 2 year contract.i dont need a fancy does everything phone.any suggestions on a good 4g? i have no clue about phones and dont trust salesmen.hell i still use a home computer .dont have a laptop or ipad

2quills

So you're wanting a smart phone? If I were to chose a phone right now I'd go for either the Samsung Galaxy S4 or the Samsung Note 3.

mohawkninja

If you want to take a lot of pictures, then the Nokia Lumia 1020. http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/phone/lumia1020/. If you want a good, all around phone, then the HTC One. http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one/

As above , the Samsung Galaxy line is also good.

flower

Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/396509/i-need-a-new-cell-phone#post_3532984
well my 4 yr old flip phone finally went yesterday.i need to get a new phone.good thing is my contract is out with zerison so they will upgrade cheap for a new 2 year contract.i dont need a fancy does everything phone.any suggestions on a good 4g? i have no clue about phones and dont trust salesmen.hell i still use a home computer .dont have a laptop or ipad

Hi,

Be smart...do not go with Verizon
...they have hidden costs, and on my first bill they decided to ding me $420.00.

I didn't know I owed that, and never got a bill (they had my e-mail wrong...sales person had one letter off) I didn't know my service was going to be disconnected until I got an auto call (while my mother was being carted off on a gurney for heart surgery (talk about bad timing on their part) saying I owed $420.00 before the end of the day, or my service would be interrupted, and a reconnection charge would have to be paid before I could get my service restored. So while I sat in the hospital waiting for my Mother to be back from surgery, I had to concern myself with Verizon, and wonder whatever could be wrong, I had only signed up on May the 8th and it was only end of May. I was sure there was some mistake, how could I have such an outrageous bill and not even have been with them a full month????

I never even got a bill....The ONLY thing that I ever saw was a paper sent to my house with an explanation of service and the charges, I was expecting a $160.00 bill. Once I was sure my Mother was Okay, and resting in her room, I went personally to their store. They said it was connection charges. I told them that when I looked them up on the internet when I was first shopping for a service, it said no connection charges, and the two phones were cheaper with a 2 year contract. I was at that time (not before) informed the waiver for connection charges was only for those who signed up on-line, not when you go to the store.

I had gone to the store because I wanted to actually see and handle the phones they offered in order to make my choice, and didn't want to rely on just a picture and stats to make the decision. Because I did that, they charged the $420.00...all I could say to them was....WOW. I talked to a manager, but they wouldn't let go of the charges, I had to pay or else....I paid the $420.00 bill at that time, and told them to make paperless auto billing, so I need not worry about such events in the future. I wrote down my e-mail, and the young fellow entered it all into his computer...you would think it was at least fixed at that point.

Next problem: They can't get their billing to work properly, and didn't auto deduct like they were suppose to, I landed up being late a day...and had to make a trip to their store to get everything fixed, AGAIN. Still the next month it wasn't debited like it should be...late again. I had not been late on my US Cellular phone service for the 8 years I was with them. They sold out to Sprint, I had heard nothing but bad things about Sprint, so I opted for Verizon Wireless instead. Verizon as it turns out, may as well call themselves Sprint, because they do their business just like they do.

The real kick in the head is that to get out of the 2 year contract, I would have to pay $350.00 per phone (My mother also is on the service with me) so that's $700.00 just to drop their sorry a$$es. So I am stuck with them for now. The phones are awesome (I got the Galaxy), it's a touch screen, and it gets great reception. However they are not the only company with awesome phones.

I finally got the auto pay to kind of work, I still have to stay on top of it to be sure. I had put on their site to auto debit on the 1st of each month, they didn't debit it until the 4th, one day before it would be late.

Oh but my grief with Verizon isn't over....I was going to get Cable and drop the satellite TV I had...Because of the LATE reports generated from Verizon, the Cable company now wants a deposit of $150.00 before installation. I had talked to them about 5 months ago (a week before the Verizon problems began) and they didn't want a deposit. Direct TV talked me onto keeping them for a bit and lowered their prices, now when I want to switch, the cable wants $150.00 before they will come.

Verizon has given me nothing but grief, and the extra costs are driving me crazy.

deejeff442

i didnt read all your post flower. i have had verison for 5 years. i next to never get a dropped call. i have been very happy with them.i had tmobile and sprint and didnt like them. i just got the galaxy s4. i loved the pic quality. also the big screen. this thing seems so fragile though. have to get a good cover.they wanted $50 for a cover lol. dont think so.now i just have to learn how to use this thing. going from a flip phone to this

silverado61

Verizon Motorola android. That would be your free upgrade. All you pay is the upgrade. Get the insurance. Don't get more than 1g for internet. You won't need that much in your case. Especially with all the WiFi hotspots around. Cases cost around $10. I've got 2 cells with insurance, unlimited text and calls. For around $145 mth.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/396509/i-need-a-new-cell-phone#post_3532993
i didnt read all your post flower. i have had verison for 5 years. i next to never get a dropped call. i have been very happy with them.i had tmobile and sprint and didnt like them. i just got the galaxy s4. i loved the pic quality. also the big screen. this thing seems so fragile though. have to get a good cover.they wanted $50 for a cover lol. dont think so.now i just have to learn how to use this thing. going from a flip phone to this

I like the phone, I like the service, no dropped calls....For some reason, the company can't get their billing right. That $420.00 ding (that was never mentioned, and I didn't know about until they wanted to shut off my service) because I picked out my phone at their store, as opposed to doing it on-line was ridicules. If that was the only complaint, I could kind of get over it...LOL...read my entire rant.

A company can only burn me once, and as soon as the 2 year contract is up....I'm done with them. As far as I am concerned, they rate right there with Sprint. I also expressed my distain for them on Facebook.

By the way, ebay sells nice cases at a much better price range. I also like to go to Skin it, (I like to upload my own art onto my gadgets) but the galaxy is too new and they don't have sticker covers for it yet.

2quills

Jeff, I spent the $50 and got a ballistic case for mine. It's worth it for me and the work I do, I put my phones through a lot of abuse. My S3 has been dropped, stepped on, banged into stuff and rained on many times. Check em out..http://www.goballisticcase.com/collections/samsung-galaxy-s-4-cases
Otter Box cases are good too, but I like the Ballistics stuff better.

deejeff442

thanks quills, i already dont like this phone. my fingers are too big to text. hopefully i get used to it. although i went to internet a couple times and its 10 times faster than my home internet.

2quills

I usually turn the phone side ways when I text or type. Opens up a bigger keyboard. Or push the little button that is a symbol of a microphone, you can speak the words and the phone will translate to text.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/396509/i-need-a-new-cell-phone#post_3533025
I usually turn the phone side ways when I text or type. Opens up a bigger keyboard. Or push the little button that is a symbol of a microphone, you can speak the words and the phone will translate to text.

+1 on turning it sideways in a pinch...but I started using a stylus pen, it's just easier. The turning it sideways trick works when I don't have the stylus handy, and it's pain to keep up with too. I use the speaker method too if I don't mind everyone knowing what I want to text....and it does work pretty good on voice recognition.

dragonzim

Try using Swype or a different keyboard if you're having trouble with stock KB. This is one of the places that Android blow Apple and iOS out of the water. Dont like the keyboard on your Android? Download a new one. Dont like it on your iPhone? Too bad!

I use the SlideIT keyboard on my GS3 and its great. Much nicer than the stock one.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Of the cell phone carriers, I found verison the most reliable and offering the best phone options. Flower, sounds like there was some big snafu in your situation, but you do have to watch yourself when looking for deals online. Many of the box stores don't have the deals that you get online. In your situation, you should have been given the total cost before leaving the store or having to sign anything.

I'm using ATT as I'm on a family plan and I'm not paying for it. But, ATT would not be my first choice. Actually, cell phone companies are about as sleazy as home security companies. LOL

2quills

I can tell you from experience that they all will try to sneak in those extra costs, cancellation or connection fees. Verizon does have the largest network. I'm considering switching back to them next year. Been disapointed in t-mobile ever since I moved last year, the coverage just isn't great if you're not in the city.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396509/i-need-a-new-cell-phone#post_3533066
Of the cell phone carriers, I found verison the most reliable and offering the best phone options. Flower, sounds like there was some big snafu in your situation, but you do have to watch yourself when looking for deals online. Many of the box stores don't have the deals that you get online. In your situation, you should have been given the total cost before leaving the store or having to sign anything.

I'm using ATT as I'm on a family plan and I'm not paying for it. But, ATT would not be my first choice. Actually, cell phone companies are about as sleazy as home security companies. LOL

Well...I really liked US Cellular...the billing is what got me so angry with Verizon, the hidden costs didn't help, but the late stuff that was actually their fault, really burned me up. LOL...Maybe I will be over my snit by the time the contract is over and I will stay with them, but if it were today...they would be gone from my life.

reefraff

I'll never use Verizon again. Shortly after getting their service they relocated a tower and I could no longer get a signal in my house and it wasn't just our phones. Anyone who was at the house with Verizon would half to walk out to the street to get a signal. When I call to see what my options were I was basically told tough luck, I was stuck with their contract.
Phone wise I've had the same LG flip phone for nearly 4 years. Still works great and battery will hold a charge great.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/396509/i-need-a-new-cell-phone#post_3533101
I'll never use Verizon again. Shortly after getting their service they relocated a tower and I could no longer get a signal in my house and it wasn't just our phones. Anyone who was at the house with Verizon would half to walk out to the street to get a signal. When I call to see what my options were I was basically told tough luck, I was stuck with their contract.
Phone wise I've had the same LG flip phone for nearly 4 years. Still works great and battery will hold a charge great.

That's what US Cellular did...In my area, they sold out to Sprint, all towers are now unusable with US Cellular phones..

I was thinking after this contract is over with Verizon. I may try a prepaid phone, I never use all the minutes on the plan (even with Mother sharing them) and I hardly ever text...I have to have text because that's the only thing my oldest son does, he never actually calls. I find out about his kids (5 of my 12 Grandbabies) on Facebook