I need a new skimmer - wanting something that is not an in sump skimmer.

chris009

I want a very effective skimmer for around 500 bucks that I can setup outside of my sump, not a hang on version either. I'm currently using a coralife 220, but I'm not liking the results that I'm getting.

chris009

90 gallons with a 30 gallon sump. my sump doesn't have a big footprint for a skimmer larger than the coralife unfortunately, which is why I want to get an external skimmer.

chilwil84

a bermuda 3-c would probably fit your situation. your tank size and budget make a reeflo a little much. the aqua c ev series would also work

chris009

Would an aquac EV series protein skimmer fit in my tank. I was looking at the 180 model, which says it has a footprint that will fit in my sump, but it doesn't say if the size of the pump effects the footprint.

chilwil84

if its external you need the space outside it and the only space in your sump is for the pump. a mag 7 needs about a 4" X 4" space while a mag 9.5 needs more like 3" X 4" space but its taller than the mag 7. the restriction with external skimmers is height if you cant drill the sump, because you have to be able to get the output side back into the sump. for small insump skimmer the octo extreme 160 is 8X10". the bermuda 3c is 7 X5 plus one of the above size pumps( can also be run external).

chris009

So, if I run this externally, I just put the pump in the sump, and it runs water to the protein skimmer for skimming? If this is true, what would I need to purchase with the skimmer get the water from the skimmer to my tank? Some sort of pipes i assume?

chilwil84

flexible tubing for the pump usually need 3/4 inside diameter and one inch pvc for the return the bermuda comes with some but not enough for most situations

P

painkiller1009

Das Ex-2
2 pinwheel Aquabee 2000/I pumps
I have been hearing some good stuff about the bubble mangus skimmers too.
MOD EDIT: Welcome to the boards, please don't link competitors

king_neptune

i went to the LFS and they have a new skimmer they are raving about...its from advanced plastics and its a brand new model. they had it in a 250 gallon tank and showed me the collection cup from just overnight.... green film all the way around...yummy!
its an in/out skimmer. with a wet/dry pump. so you can do whatever you want with it. in sump or out of sump. best of all its pump and skimmer for $300 im getting one as soon as the next shipment comes in next week. i cant wait!!