i need a new water pump

rayraypico

what is the rule of thumb for buying a water pump. how many gph do i need the pump to pump in a 100 gal tank? what is recomended

gatorcsm

Do you have a sump, or are you reffering to recirc in the tank with powerheads?
If you are reffering to powerheads to provide motion in the tank, then 20x (2000gph) would be good. Of course, placement of the pumps can be efficient or inefficient, erego, it may require more or less.
The flow from a sump to the tank would have to be limited by the capacity of your overflow.
Is that what you're looking for?
Gator

jumpfrog

Exactly. How is water getting to your sump? Predrilled, overflow?
If you are talking simply water movement and not sump return then that's a different subject.
Tell us more.

rayraypico

i am talking about pumping water fron my sump up to the tank. the water falls down to the sump through an overflow box.
and for a powerhead isn't 20x an hour a bit high for water movement?

jumpfrog

Depending on what you're keeping 20x with powerheads would be ok. Many sps like high current. Of course you wouldn't have all that coming from 1 powerhead. It would be several.
As for sump pump, 2 more questions: What is the overflow rated at and how large is your sump.
You're trying to match pump size to flow capability. An undersized pump will allow siphon to become weak or break. An oversized pump could force water over the top of your tank if the overflow can't keep up.

rayraypico

30 gal tank i use for a sump but at anytime their is never more that 10 gallons of water in the sump.
how can you tell what the overflow is rated for. would a picture of what i got help you out?

gatorcsm

the 1 inch overflow in my all-glass is rated for 500gph according to all-glass.
Is this tank a particular brand? Is the overflow drilled post purchase or is it a hang-on overflow?

gatorcsm

I'd contact the person who made the overflow. You have to make sure that the hang on overflow can handle it, as well as the X inch drain line. The limiting component of the hang-on's may be the siphon from the in-tank side to the out-of-the-tank side. No real familiar with these, but that's my buest prediction.
Gator

saltyj

Hey Ray,
Are you using the $175 bucks I paid you for a light and stand.
I am glad you found time to post on here and not time to send me the stand for my light that I paid for. I called and left messages and you never sent it. If you lost my address or something I will give it to you again. I would really like you to send it soon.
Thanks

rayraypico

sorry jeff have not had chance to call you. I have been busy. yes i did have time for one or two post. i guess if my pump is dieing it does take priority over a set of $6.00 legs for a light. For some reason i have misplaced them and have been unable to locate them. Like i said they are $6.00 if you would like i will buy them for you. send me an email with you address (sorry lost it) and i will buy them from hello lights . com and send you the tracking #
like i said $6.00 not a big deal
sorry for the inconvenience

saltyj

no $6 is not a big deal, but the fact that you said you would send them and then you didn't upsets me. :mad: