I need advice about starting a bigger tank.

aquaman623

I have a Lion fish (approximately 8 inches) in a 55 gal. tank. I would like to give him a bigger home. I have a 30 gal. and was wondering if it would be wise to keep him in there while establishing a 120 gal. tank. I was also wondering how much more gravel I will need and if it's necessary to cycle the new gravel and for how long. The 30 gal. is established. The 30 gal. would also be home to a Chocolate Chip Star, 2 Blue crabs, an Urchin, a sand sifter, and 3 other starfish. What would be the best procedure to make this change ?? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Why would you be moving the lion from the 55 to a 30? To me it would make more sense that you would keep the lion in the 55 while the 120 cycles.
Are you trading the 55 in to help pay for the 120?

jumpfrog

I'm confused too, but, I'd say you'd be ok. Lions are not exactly active swimmers. If the tank is mature and there is some LR for the lion to rest on he'll be ok for awhile. Be careful on how many animals you have in there. They will feel crowded if you go beyond the inverts listed.
As for gravel??? Not sure what you mean. Could you clarify?

aquaman623

I want my lion to grow 'and have a nice set-up'
as cheap as i can. Can i use my cycled gravel with some 'new' and still cycle it?

jumpfrog

Sure. I'd put the new down first and then place your old on top. If you do all of the moving without letting the "gravel" dry out you'll speed up any cycle you may have. Let us know how it works out. And Good Luck!

S

sebae0

agreed, put the new down first then the old over the top. i did this and only got a mini cycle for 3 days and everything was fine after that. i moved a 50 and 60 into a 180.

aquaman623

Thank you 4 your replys. But i have another question.
My hospital tank's gravel has cycled for one week after being dry for 4 yrs., but it was establihed when I got it. How much longer should I cycle it?