i need help FAST

bill109

i am prolly scratching the fact about buying a 50 gal and buying a 12 gal sw starter tank:
http://www.*****.com/Shop/petco_Prod...4.aspx#details

is this at all good. i will but live rock and use the plants in my fr tank.
also people have said to read a book about it. i am planning on it but thought thatr i should buy the tank and let it run for a few weeks (?) while i read and figure everything out ( i wont put in fish untill i finish reading )
:)
what is essential in my tank before i put in fish and maybe run it?
could you seperate (fish and runing the tank)

nigerbang

ewwww you said the P word.....not really sure...dont know a lot about eclipse systems except the basics...I have always just went as big as a could afford...which went from 55, to a insane 29 to my 92 that I am setting up now

bill109

Originally Posted by NigerBang
ewwww you said the P word.....not really sure...dont know a lot about eclipse systems except the basics...I have always just went as big as a could afford...which went from 55, to a insane 29 to my 92 that I am setting up now
i would do the same but i thought that i should start with a tank of a good size but not to big to see if i lke it. it also is cheaper for me and it has all the basics so i know what im doing because it has a instruction book

j.o.

Originally Posted by bill109
i am prolly scratching the fact about buying a 50 gal and buying a 12 gal sw starter tank:
http://www.*****.com/Shop/petco_Prod...4.aspx#details

is this at all good. i will but live rock and use the plants in my fr tank.
also people have said to read a book about it. i am planning on it but thought thatr i should buy the tank and let it run for a few weeks (?) while i read and figure everything out ( i wont put in fish untill i finish reading )
:)
what is essential in my tank before i put in fish and maybe run it?
could you seperate (fish and runing the tank)
Hey there Bill. Figured I'd chime in b/c I just recently got the tank in question. Decent little tank for the $$. Wish it was glass and not acrylic but that's neither here nor there. I used 10 lbs of a very fine sand on the bottom of my tank, and then about 8lbs of the Live Arragonite (sp) on top of that. I also have about 12lbs of Live rock as well and I used that to cycle the tank. Took about 4 weeks for it to complete. (For me anyways) The light that is in it isn't really good for much more than mushrooms, or GSP. I did However find another bulb at a LFS about 1 hour from me that had a 50/50 direct replacement. Same wattage however, so other than color not much improvement. Your also going to want a small powerhead, I recommend Rio or Maxi-jet. Those were recommended to me, and I like the Rio alot. Use it w/o the venturi tube, don't need the bubbles in there. Only other thing I've found is a temp issue, because of the design of the top of that tank...holds heat in. I actually used 2 1/2" spacers to prop the front enough to help let the excess heat out. Seems to be working ok for me. I'm also not using a protein skimmer on it because 1) the one that is recommended alot (Fission) is a POS in plain English, and 2) with weekly water changes, not going to be an issue. And then as anyone else on here is going to say...TAKE YOUR TIME.. Especially with a tank that size. Just my .02, have fun.