I need help identifying a few species of coral

saltydog25

I currently live in China and I am somewhat new at caring for marine aquariums. I have been looking online and I am having some trouble identifying some of the coral in my tank. I know the Chinese names for them but that doesnt really do me any good. I have attached some pics and I appreciate any help anyone can give me. I also have one other question. As you can see from the pics I have a phillipine sea apple. I understand that they are filter feeders and that they use there tenticles to shovel food into their mouths(kind of like a 1 year old child). I know a common problem for them besides large changes in specific gravity and high nitrate levels is that they are often under fed and slowly starve to death. I dont want this to happen to this beautiful creature. I have been using Coral Gourmand to feed my coral and sea apple. Does anyone have any other suggestions??? I heard that you can mince up shirmp and feed it to sea apple, is this true??? Thanks

rainfishy

Could you get a close up on any of the corals; it's kinda hard to tell from those pics. But the yellow one is sun polyps Tubastrea faulkneri
Is the sea apple the giant on the left front? If so that thing is hugungous

Please post more pics if possible

toonascott

oh dude! You are living on the edge. One thing happens to that sea apple of yours and BLAMO! your entire tank is going to be in serious trouble. I hate to sound like the grim reaper, but I would seriously consider removing that monster sea apple. I am sure you will prove me wrong, but that sea apple is like pin in a grenade. I hope all goes well for you. :scared:

toonascott

Can you name your other corals for us?. It looks like you picked a group of difficult species. Elegance?, two Goniopora ? I wish you the best, your tank looks great.
***)

fishieness

hmm. i will try. if you take closer pics we could help you more.
it looks like the thing to the top left of your tomato clown is some type of goniopora
the orange on the bottom right appears to be a carnation
and on the top right looks like a sun coral
i realy cant see what is under the "goniopora" but it looks like possibly another species of it or a closed brain.
the top left looks like mmaybe a very bleached lobophylla brain?
and all the way to the right looks like possibly a colt coral?
if you can get closer pics im sure youll get more positive IDs from someone.
happy reefing

saltydog25

Here are some more pics to help with the identifying process. Let me know what you think. Oh and I traded in the sea apple today. It is an awesome and creature, but I dont want it nuking my tank. Maybe someday I will make a tank especially for a sea apple. They deserve their own tank anyway.

fishieness

okay, i still hold with everythign i said except two things:
the one under the larger goniopora looks like another species of goniopora
and then there is the way top right. still not sure what it is. it almost looks like an elegance with extracted tenticals. but whatever it is, it isnt healthy and too bleached. what lighting do you have? you should be feeding it too to try to nurse it back to health.

saltydog25

Originally Posted by fishieness
okay, i still hold with everythign i said except two things:
the one under the larger goniopora looks like another species of goniopora
and then there is the way top right. still not sure what it is. it almost looks like an elegance with extracted tenticals. but whatever it is, it isnt healthy and too bleached. what lighting do you have? you should be feeding it too to try to nurse it back to health.
First my camera sucks and that is not a good pic. That coral is actually much more green in color and quite a bit darker than the pic lets on. There is a good reason that it doesnt look healthy, about a 2 weeks ago I bought a water chiller to keep the temperature from getting to high in the summer. The man from the shop came and installed it. Well when he installed it, he failed to tell me that he had not washed out the piping or the chiller itself. Needless to say there was some sort of chemical either in the chiller or the piping and it shocked my tank when he started it up. I lost my Jackii Clown and my Blacktailed Damsel. It also killed my boxer shrimp and the only pistol shrimp that I ever found in the whole city. Of all the Corals that was the only one really bothered by it. I added active carbon to my filter and did several water changes to try to remove the chemical. It has seemed to work. I went to the shop and in a calm yet angry way explained what happened. They were very sorry and replaced all of my fish and gave me two cleaner shrimp, a purple reef lobster and a two snails. They didnt have anymore Jackii Clowns, so they gave me a Tomato Clown instead. They also gave a bottle of Geo Liquid, for Coral and Invertebrates. I have been using that and feeding it Coral Gourmand which is a soup of crushed kelp, fish, whole egg, casein, yeast, minerals and vitamins. Today has been the best day for that coral since the accident. As far as my lighting goes I have been using a single 15 watt blue coral lamp and a single white aquarium lamp. I am considering replacing the white lamp with another blue coral lamp. What do you think?

saltydog25

I made a mistake of which coral you were talking talking about. The one on the right is something they gave me as a gift for that accident and I didnt pick it out. They told me the color is supposed to be a dark redish brown. I think it is a type of Colt Coral, but I am not 100% on that. It really hasnt opened up yet. It has been in the tank for three days.

viper_930

They yellow/orange coral isn't a tubastrea, it's a Dendrophyllia coccinea. I forgot how to say the name in Chinese, but the literal English translation is "firecracker coral". One great thing about living in China is the huge selection of dendros at about 30 USD for an entire colony. Here they cost 50-80 USD per polyp. Nice piece you've got there!

saltydog25

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
They yellow/orange coral isn't a tubastrea, it's a Dendrophyllia coccinea. I forgot how to say the name in Chinese, but the literal English translation is "firecracker coral". One great thing about living in China is the huge selection of dendros at about 30 USD for an entire colony. Here they cost 50-80 USD per polyp. Nice piece you've got there!
Thanks the english name is much more uselful. Chinese is just my second language. I am from the U.S. and about as white as they come. Yeah Aquariums are much much much less expensive here than in the States. The most expensive piece of coral I have is about 12 USD. The aquarium, everything with it and everything in it cost about 120 USD.

promisetbg

What are you using for circulation? It does'nt appear that you have any surface agitation or much movement in this tank. The corals do not look like they are receiving enough light... they look bleached.

saltydog25

Originally Posted by promisetbg
What are you using for circulation? It does'nt appear that you have any surface agitation or much movement in this tank. The corals do not look like they are receiving enough light... they look bleached.
The pump was off when I took the pics, because my camera sucks and if things are moving when I take a pic, it will blur. My tank is 30 gallons. How many watts of lighting should I be using?

fishieness

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
i thought it looked like that...... but that was too many polyps for me to believe that anyone could afford it...... and ive seen them for 100-200 bucks a polyp, so your stores must have relay good prices :scared: lol

saltydog25

Originally Posted by fishieness
i thought it looked like that...... but that was too many polyps for me to believe that anyone could afford it...... and ive seen them for 100-200 bucks a polyp, so your stores must have relay good prices :scared: lol
That firecracker coral, cost me about 5 USD.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by Saltydog25
My tank is 30 gallons. How many watts of lighting should I be using?
It's the spectrum of the bulbs, not the watts per gallon. If you must use only power compacts I would put as much as I could fit. 2X 65 wt daylights and 2 X 65 wt actinics..or two 50/50's. Can you purchase metal halide lighting there?I would put a couple 150's over it and some VHO actinic or power compact actinics..or just go with 14 or 20 K MH's.

saltydog25

Originally Posted by promisetbg
It's the spectrum of the bulbs, not the watts per gallon. If you must use only power compacts I would put as much as I could fit. 2X 65 wt daylights and 2 X 65 wt actinics..or two 50/50's. Can you purchase metal halide lighting there?I would put a couple 150's over it and some VHO actinic or power compact actinics..or just go with 14 or 20 K MH's.
Thanks for the advice. Its much appreciated

promisetbg

Another option would be some good T-5's with quality bulbs. Remember the ballast is as important as the bulbs you use. The gonioporas should be getting small particulate food, and the dendro large meaty food items. My dendro loves mysis, squid{especially}, shrimp, etc. It has grown from 3 polyps to 9 in just over a year.